BIG mistake, fouled up the tank big time - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
BIG mistake, fouled up the tank big time

So, in a long line of stupid things that can happen to ones tank I just pulled a doozy. I gave my fish a piece of sweet potato to munch on. They didn't and I forgot to take it back out. Water is icky so I am doing a 75% change right now. Siphon is sucking the water out right now. I am so happy I have this thing now, it make the water changes so easy. I LOVE IT!!

I guess I won't be doing any treats tonight for the fish, other then the clean water. I feel so bad, I tried to give them a yummy extra and instead I fouled up the water.

How long do you guys keep fresh veggies in the tank at one time? Does it foul up your water?

Changed my mind, I am doing an 80% change in the little tank. Icky water!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Inga; 07-22-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Inga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
So, in a long line of stupid things that can happen to ones tank I just pulled a doozy. I gave my fish a piece of sweet potato to munch on. They didn't and I forgot to take it back out. Water is icky so I am doing a 75% change right now. Siphon is sucking the water out right now. I am so happy I have this thing now, it make the water changes so easy. I LOVE IT!!

I guess I won't be doing any treats tonight for the fish, other then the clean water. I feel so bad, I tried to give them a yummy extra and instead I fouled up the water.

How long do you guys keep fresh veggies in the tank at one time? Does it foul up your water?

Changed my mind, I am doing an 80% change in the little tank. Icky water!

maybe the reason my fish never eat the veggies is I take them out to soon. 1 hour 2 at max and then its out of the water. But all in all I don't think you mishap was all that bad. i came about 2 seconds away from full on tank crash two weeks ago.

I cleaned my OHF filled it with tap water grabbed a handfull of filter media and tossed it into the OHF that was full of tap water. lucky for me as soon as the first handful of media splashed into the OHF I said oops need some prime, and dosed it with prime. I was that close to dumping all my biomedia into TAP WATER !!!!!
nfored is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfored View Post
maybe the reason my fish never eat the veggies is I take them out to soon. 1 hour 2 at max and then its out of the water. But all in all I don't think you mishap was all that bad. i came about 2 seconds away from full on tank crash two weeks ago.

I cleaned my OHF filled it with tap water grabbed a handfull of filter media and tossed it into the OHF that was full of tap water. lucky for me as soon as the first handful of media splashed into the OHF I said oops need some prime, and dosed it with prime. I was that close to dumping all my biomedia into TAP WATER !!!!!

At least you caught it right away. I think you would have been alright though if you have other things in the tank. Amazing amounts of bacteria in the substrate alone. Not to mention the tank glass, plants, wood, heater etc... I mean, assuming the tank is well established. It would really be frustrating if this was a new cycle and you did that. UGH!!!

I generally leave treats for a few hours as well but... I am old and I forgot it. It was in there for like 24 hours because the stupid thing floated up to the top and hid in the floating plants. When I came home from work today the water was yucky. Then to add to it, I over flowed the tank. Word to the wise... Don't answer the phone while refilling the tank, you can become distracted. ha ha It wasn't a huge over flow, I heard it the second it went over and shut it off but sheesh, can I be any dumber?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Inga you are too funny :) Other than having gunky water I wouldn't be worried about it. It's organic matter and maybe the fish got some vitamins out of the deal anyway.

Now about that overflow .....

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
New Member
 
I agree you caught it before it could truly decay into anything nasty.
nfored is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Lots of people leave it in overnight (about 8-10 hours) so I wouldn't worry. Maybe the problem is that it's a starchy food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Rip
Member
 
Rip's Avatar
 
i feed them blanched zucchini on occasion and stick it on a plastic fork, and stick the fork into the substrate. not all fish go for it. out of the fish i have, the otos, platys, and pleco go for it. oh, and the snails too. i leave it in there between 24-36 hours. if it's closer to 36 hours, sometimes it's hard to remove the fork, as it just turns to mush, and makes a little mess, but nothing too bad.


Rip is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Maybe that was the problem, I didn't blanch or cook in any way, I stuck it in raw and it made a HUGE mess. Huge in my mind anyway. I can't stand cloudy water or icky looking substrate. I am going to keep offering veggies but only for very very short times. Either they eat it or they lose the option.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:43 PM
New Member
 
friend2puffers's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
I can't stand cloudy water or icky looking substrate. I am going to keep offering veggies but only for very very short times. Either they eat it or they lose the option.
One of the ways that people reduce the starch in foods for cooking prep (like fried sweet potatoes) is to soak it in tap water for an hour if you don't want to blanch it first. It removes a lot of the starch. If you want to be able to leave it a little longer in the aquarium, you might soak it first in a small bowl. I haven't given anything starchy to my mine, but I'm guessing it would help the water problem you had. It definitely helps when frying potatoes!

Thanks for posting this because I usually leave zucchini and green beans overnight. (I'm not sure how long they actually last b/c my pleco is insatiable!) I might have done it with a sweet potato at some point and been very upset in the morning!

My pleco started planking long before you thought of it.
friend2puffers is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-25-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by friend2puffers View Post
One of the ways that people reduce the starch in foods for cooking prep (like fried sweet potatoes) is to soak it in tap water for an hour if you don't want to blanch it first. It removes a lot of the starch. If you want to be able to leave it a little longer in the aquarium, you might soak it first in a small bowl. I haven't given anything starchy to my mine, but I'm guessing it would help the water problem you had. It definitely helps when frying potatoes!

Thanks for posting this because I usually leave zucchini and green beans overnight. (I'm not sure how long they actually last b/c my pleco is insatiable!) I might have done it with a sweet potato at some point and been very upset in the morning!

Yeah I put the sweet potatoe in for my Pleco but he/she ignored it. I thought for sure it would be such a treat but, guess not.

I won't be giving up but I do not like a cloudy tank or any crud on the bottom so I likely won't keep anything much in there for long.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish tank cycle - I don't want to do the same mistake again :( Macchu Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 18 04-08-2011 09:53 PM
Made a huge mistake changing biomax in cycled tank! Elvis Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 12-16-2010 10:29 AM
mistake? rtman Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 11-30-2007 11:33 AM
new 125 tank and first time setting up sump tank , what??? black&whiteclowns Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 5 04-16-2007 05:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome