Beware The LFS!!! - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beware The LFS!!!

Beware The LFS!!!

This is a discussion on Beware The LFS!!! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> When I first started, I consulted strictly third party sources of information, primarily books I purchased, and internet websites (credible information being that which ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Rainbow Shark
Rainbow Shark
Zebra Danio
Zebra Danio
Reply
Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
 
MattD's Avatar
 
When I first started, I consulted strictly third party sources of information, primarily books I purchased, and internet websites (credible information being that which was present on many different sites rather than just one). Very seldom did I rely on LFS advice unless it were how to use a product (ie. gravel vaccuum, tank size, heater wattage, etc.)
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
 
hmm i work at a fish store and i only been working for a couple of weeks but i know as much if not more of some of the long term employess . if i dont know the answere to someones question ill either ask another staff member or id look it up in a book ( we got mounds of book and every fish)

just my random 2 cents
sxcsamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
 
Mating Slinkys's Avatar
 
Wow, i didn't realise that this was such an emotive subject, and i appear to have started a small war between LFS employees and the rest of us! Not my intention at all! Before this degrades into dead fish throwing can i just say that i have met many very helpful and well informed LFSers, and have really only had the one bad experience, so thanks to all you hard working folks out there! I really meant for this to be a humorous thread of the "oh my god i was so naive i can't believe i believed that" type to make me and any other newbies to the hobby feel that we ain't alone in our gullability! So sorry if i've ruffeled any feathers/scales out there!
Mating Slinkys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxcsamman
hmm i work at a fish store and i only been working for a couple of weeks but i know as much if not more of some of the long term employess . if i dont know the answere to someones question ill either ask another staff member or id look it up in a book ( we got mounds of book and every fish)

just my random 2 cents
thats exactly wat u hav to do ... the ppl like u are the 1s who last the 2 month mark and end up with cutomers that will only work with u
mr.bojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mating Slinkys
Wow, i didn't realise that this was such an emotive subject, and i appear to have started a small war between LFS employees and the rest of us! Not my intention at all! Before this degrades into dead fish throwing can i just say that i have met many very helpful and well informed LFSers, and have really only had the one bad experience, so thanks to all you hard working folks out there! I really meant for this to be a humorous thread of the "oh my god i was so naive i can't believe i believed that" type to make me and any other newbies to the hobby feel that we ain't alone in our gullability! So sorry if i've ruffeled any feathers/scales out there!
grrrr throws moldy old silver aro

but i think it goes both ways as well i could go and tell u some "omg there so dumb" storys from people ive had come in, but ive also had some bad advice like once i went into a fish store and they had oscars for sale and i wanted to test the worked and i asked how big they would get and he said not much bigger than they were there were bearly an inch omg so i went and found a differnt employe so u just got to shop around
sxcsamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #16
 
willow's Avatar
 
hi folks,hope your all enjoying this sunny
saturday. :)
well,i've had good and bad advise,and in the beginning
i lost many fish. :(
i now know who to talk to and who not to,
although sadly for me,the guy i like has gone back to uni. :) :(
so i tend to just go into the shop,get what i want and leave.
because the others are not much good.(i'm sure they would sell
you their granny before you knew it)
i don't ask them who gets on with who,because
i can either read a book or trawl the net. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
 
Andyandsue's Avatar
 
My comment wasn't that the guy didn't know what he was doing, just that his store was a mess, he was mean, and his butt crack freaked out my daughter! :D
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #18
 
Age of Aquariums's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyandsue
My comment wasn't that the guy didn't know what he was doing, just that his store was a mess, he was mean, and his butt crack freaked out my daughter! :D

LOL!!! :D I was once told that I could put 2 Percula, and 10 Ocellaris clownfish in the same tank..... It was a war zone!!!
Age of Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
 
Mr.Todd's Avatar
 
You just have to have caution with the LFS. We have 3 LFS’ in town and two of them I don’t trust. The other has a very cool employee who will give me his honest opinion on things. He has told me his real opinion on fish and accessories that at times was a negative review, it is so cool when the LFS employees actually want to help you and not just sell you on something.

I just think, when you ask a question and they answer without confidence or if it goes against everything you have read or if it just sounds uneducated… Chances are that employee has no idea what is going on! HAVE CAUTION!

ON THE OTHER HAND

The LFS may have people that have specific experience with the climate & water in your area. This is something internet and books most likely will not tell you.

Great Post.
:P
Mr.Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
 
Please be careful with the whole naming thing. There was talk on another forum about being sued for slander.
Trishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what cichlids do i actually have? 56k beware! SpyderMike Cichlids 4 04-25-2009 07:57 AM
Beware! Marinero Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 11-22-2008 12:58 AM
they got eaten..........beware ! ! ! willow Fish Breeding 1 11-24-2007 05:18 AM
a few of my oddballs (dial uppers beware) The-Wolf Freshwater Journals 6 04-11-2007 07:10 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.