Best place to get gravel? - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Best place to get gravel?

Best place to get gravel?

This is a discussion on Best place to get gravel? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by CinBos These are the too I saw, but nothing byt the exact name you mentioned. 50 lb. Play Sand-40100301 at The ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Scalare Angelfish
Scalare Angelfish
Platy
Platy
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Best place to get gravel?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
These are the too I saw, but nothing byt the exact name you mentioned.

50 lb. Play Sand-40100301 at The Home Depot

50 lb. Pool Filter Sand-115350 at The Home Depot
This is the sand I have:
Quikrete | Playsand 30kg | Home Depot Canada

Without seeing what the sand you linked actually looks like, I couldn't say if it is similar or not, or better. "Tan" is what the store calls the Quikrete play sand I believe, but again I would want to see it before I bought it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
CinBos (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
This is the sand I have:
Quikrete | Playsand 30kg | Home Depot Canada

Without seeing what the sand you linked actually looks like, I couldn't say if it is similar or not, or better. "Tan" is what the store calls the Quikrete play sand I believe, but again I would want to see it before I bought it.
Yeah they have that same one at Lowes. So I will go and check that out today.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
This is the sand I have:
Quikrete | Playsand 30kg | Home Depot Canada

Without seeing what the sand you linked actually looks like, I couldn't say if it is similar or not, or better. "Tan" is what the store calls the Quikrete play sand I believe, but again I would want to see it before I bought it.
So this is good for soft bellied fish? And how did you prep it, did you just rinse it off?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
So this is good for soft bellied fish? And how did you prep it, did you just rinse it off?
The playsand is fine for all fish. I have my corys and loaches over this, they love it.

Takes lots and lots and lots of rinsing to remove all the dirt. But in the end, worth it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
CinBos (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Sounds like a plan
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Byron, your tanks are absolutely beautiful. Of course, I expected that.

The substrate in your photos looks like small gravel to me. Is this just a matter of terminology, or what ? The Play Sand at my Home Depot (I work there) is tan and has the consistency of beach sand.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Byron, your tanks are absolutely beautiful. Of course, I expected that.

The substrate in your photos looks like small gravel to me. Is this just a matter of terminology, or what ? The Play Sand at my Home Depot (I work there) is tan and has the consistency of beach sand.
If it is Quikrete Play Sand, that is what I have in the tanks pictured in this thread. The sand looks different wet under daylight tubes than it does dry, but it is quite a nice sand.

And thanks for the compliments.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Well, I've always wanted to try sand, but I think that wasn't considered to be a good idea in the old days. Something about it compacting too tightly around plant roots. Your plants prove that wrong.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Well, I've always wanted to try sand, but I think that wasn't considered to be a good idea in the old days. Something about it compacting too tightly around plant roots. Your plants prove that wrong.
I held off trying sand for just this reason. And there is validity in the compaction issue, if one is not careful. Any substrate will compact, and the finer the material the more it compacts. But plant roots (substrate plants) work against this, as do Malaysian Livebearing snails. My sand substrates are shallower than my gravel used to be.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
I used to have the Malaysian Live-bearing Snails. We called them horn of plenty snails. Can't even remember how I acquired them; however, I remember that we always thought that they were part of the secret recipe for healthy plants. When I say we, I'm talking about two old friends and I back when we were teenagers...a million years ago. You could plant a 29 gallon aquarium luxuriantly for about $10 back then.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
not sure if this is the right place xxthrwitdwnxx Tropical Fish Diseases 8 06-02-2007 03:38 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.