Aqueon 36 Bow Amazon Biotope - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
What size of driftwood should I be looking for and how many pieces would be recommended?

so far I've been checking out ones labeled as med and large
DragonRckr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 35 Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRckr View Post
but these substrates would need fertilizer in either tabs or liquid, right?

Amazon carries Caribsea Eco Complete, but it's the black version. They don't have the red one available ATM. I think I'm going with the caribsea eco complete, going to see if I can get the red version...

It is ok to mix in two substrate, like the Eco Complete black on the bottom for the plants and rooting and Caribsea Natural Rio Grande on top?
you don't necessarily need fert tabs, I don't use them, just the Caribsea supernatural sand and liquid comprehensive, but they can be beneficial for heavy root feeders like swords and crypts

I have no experience with the enriched substrates and I don't think I've missed out on anything, personally, I would spend the money elsewhere

Quote:
What size of driftwood should I be looking for and how many pieces would be recommended?

so far I've been checking out ones labeled as med and large
this is completely your own personal preference, how ever much or little as you like
Quantum is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
you don't necessarily need fert tabs, I don't use them, just the Caribsea supernatural sand and liquid comprehensive, but they can be beneficial for heavy root feeders like swords and crypts

I have no experience with the enriched substrates and I don't think I've missed out on anything, personally, I would spend the money elsewhere
Might be doing a trip to Pet Smart this evening, going to check if they carry Caribsea and check some hardware stores in my area to see if they have some type sand.

Amazon does carry the carib sea, found a nice color one... Carib Sea Instant Aquarium Sunset Gold, it's 10lb bag... maybe 2 will do.

Just trying to avoid ordering online since the S&H might be a bit high, depending on vendor and carrier they use.

Was initially going for ADA Aqua soil, amazon has it listed from a 3rd party supplier. The price is a bit high though, $69 for 9lt. Will just one bag be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
this is completely your own personal preference, how ever much or little as you like
My tanks dimensions are 30.3" x 15.5" x 20.9" and the driftwood I was checking out is 20x5x5" and 16x6x5", two piece combo. Wouldn't it be too much and look over crowded? And its listed for 35.85 plus 15.81 for S&H, which I find a bit high... Might not add rocks if get this combo pack... maybe later on.

So much to read and learn, thought it was an easy to pick up hobby

Last edited by DragonRckr; 07-18-2013 at 05:21 PM.
DragonRckr is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
Petsmart carries the sunset gold supernaturals, I used 30 lbs of it for my 29 gal, your tank with the bow front might need a bit more, it comes in 5 lb bags if you need to add more, this is without any additional enriched type substrate

the only real way to know if the driftwood is too much or not the right shape is to place it in the tank and see, but again this is subjective, it all depends on if you like it or not, my 25 gal is meant to replicate a blackwater pool and as such has quite a few chunks and branches of wood, whereas I have only a few pieces in my 29 gal
Quantum is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Petsmart carries the sunset gold supernaturals, I used 30 lbs of it for my 29 gal, your tank with the bow front might need a bit more, it comes in 5 lb bags if you need to add more, this is without any additional enriched type substrate

the only real way to know if the driftwood is too much or not the right shape is to place it in the tank and see, but again this is subjective, it all depends on if you like it or not, my 25 gal is meant to replicate a blackwater pool and as such has quite a few chunks and branches of wood, whereas I have only a few pieces in my 29 gal
Amazon has Super Natural Sunset Gold Sand 5lb, so 6 of these should be enough? That's $90...

Carib Sea also has Super Naturals Amazon, but I can't find it for sale anywhere online...

I'm comparing cost and it comes out more or less the same than ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia, seems to be popular among planted tanks. This is also hard to find...

Finding his type of products locally is a bit difficult, since these seem to be slow moving items :/
DragonRckr is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Also been reading that some are using Top soil capped with gravel, how well with this work out? Oh with a thin layer of peat moss on the bottom.

Seems to be a cheap and good solution...
DragonRckr is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
well... Went to pet smart and found carib sea super naturals sunset gold 20lb bags, bought two.

Just need to order the plants... When they arrive, do I have to do cycling and how much for how long? As for fertilizers, do I need something else other than the flourish complete?
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonRckr is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Went with eco complete instead, since I'm a beginner and it would be a bit easier. It's on it way... Just filled the tank and took and initial ph test woth API and it was 7.6. I'll run another test in a few days and after adding in the substrate.

Should I add the plants before or after the fish? There seems to be some mixed thoughts, add plants after would allow amonia to build up a bit and create better growth for the plants. If before, is there a need to do cycles before getting the plants?

Already have a good site for the plants and they ship to PR, still need to find a good fish source... All that I've found so far do not ship to PR :/

Thanks for all the help, learned a lot. This should come out great :)
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonRckr is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRckr View Post
Went with eco complete instead, since I'm a beginner and it would be a bit easier. It's on it way... Just filled the tank and took and initial ph test woth API and it was 7.6. I'll run another test in a few days and after adding in the substrate.

Should I add the plants before or after the fish? There seems to be some mixed thoughts, add plants after would allow amonia to build up a bit and create better growth for the plants. If before, is there a need to do cycles before getting the plants?

Already have a good site for the plants and they ship to PR, still need to find a good fish source... All that I've found so far do not ship to PR :/

Thanks for all the help, learned a lot. This should come out great :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I add plants as part of the initial setup and add the first fish later.

but that's just my .02

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob View Post
I add plants as part of the initial setup and add the first fish later.

but that's just my .02
Thanks, that's what I've read so far.

Wanted to get some opinions from more experienced members just in case. I'll be putting in the order for the plants today and the fish by batches, adopted two expensive hobbies at the same time... big mistake!

Read that I might have to add ammonia to the tank water if I have plants and no fish, what would be a good source?
DragonRckr is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon biotope TFish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 103 09-24-2010 07:54 PM
Amazon Biotope Kelso Beginner Planted Aquarium 10 01-24-2010 11:06 PM
55gal Amazon BioTope petlover516 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 04-11-2009 02:22 PM
Amazon-ish Biotope Nevek Freshwater Journals 8 02-18-2007 05:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome