Aquascape Idea
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Aquascape Idea

Aquascape Idea

This is a discussion on Aquascape Idea within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Planning out my 125g aquascape, this is my idea so far. Please give me any ideas you may have to improve upon it, this ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Ember Tetra
Ember Tetra
Siamese Fighting Fish
Siamese Fighting Fish
Reply
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Question Aquascape Idea

Planning out my 125g aquascape, this is my idea so far. Please give me any ideas you may have to improve upon it, this is a first attempt at trying to make any kind of a look rather than just random placement.

For dimensions to give scale, the length is 72.5" and the width is 18.5".



The idea is the tan area will be a 'river' and the rocks will form a terrace, so the 'river' will be exiting out of a valley of sorts.

Overhead will be the floating plants indicated, going for a dense cover as I'll be keeping Angelfish in this tank. The light will be a dual T8 48" fixture. Not sure how much will make it down below so I went with mostly low light stuff.

Thoughts to improve?
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Kim
 
Kim's Avatar
 
No suggestions from me....I love it!

Sounds like it will come out great. Post some pics when you set it up please ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
 
Termato's Avatar
 
More Java Moss!

I would also consider some dwarf hair grass or some kind of carpet plant.

Otherwise. NICE!
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Not sure if I would put some many swords on the left side as they can get Hugh. As just wanted to throw in I have the "same" lights over my 55 gallon tank and I can't get pygmy chain sword to go for me. Now tank is different but just thought I would throw that out there. I do think it will look good though.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Even in a 125 that is way too many swords. Most sword need a good 7-10" around them to grow healthy. Other than that it looks great. As someone who has done a number of planted tanks I will say that your plan is ambitious. You may want to consider future growth when placing your pygmy chain sword and wisteria. Both grow really fast and can get out of hand quickly if you start with too many stems/plants, too close together.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
More Java Moss!

I would also consider some dwarf hair grass or some kind of carpet plant.

Otherwise. NICE!
I don't think they would do well under a cover of floating plants. They need rather bright light if i remember correctly, otherwise they just kind of sit there and do nothing instead of carpet. I will not be doing a 'high tech' setup (no CO2).

Originally that's what I wanted to use though, it's the perfect looking lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Not sure if I would put some many swords on the left side as they can get Hugh. As just wanted to throw in I have the "same" lights over my 55 gallon tank and I can't get pygmy chain sword to go for me. Now tank is different but just thought I would throw that out there. I do think it will look good though.
Really? I've heard from several people that it grows like weeds in their tanks I've tried microsword in a 10g and it did absolutely nothing but grow algae on its leaves. It's still there, hasn't grown one bit in a couple of months. Thinking of trimming it to see if it does anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax84 View Post
Even in a 125 that is way too many swords. Most sword need a good 7-10" around them to grow healthy. Other than that it looks great. As someone who has done a number of planted tanks I will say that your plan is ambitious. You may want to consider future growth when placing your pygmy chain sword and wisteria. Both grow really fast and can get out of hand quickly if you start with too many stems/plants, too close together.
You sure? I have three in a 20 gallon, only for about 4 months at this point but they haven't spread out anywhere near that much. They've gotten pretty tall, but not too large in the width area.

That left area is about ~24" in length which would give each ~6" of space. But maybe just three back there and one in the center on the terrace. Until I build the hardscape, I only really have a 'ballpark' of how big each area will be.

For stem plants, I've found they don't 'bush' out if you remove the bottom portion and re-plant the tops, they just keep growing up as a single stem.

On the Pygmy Chain Sword, I'd probably only buy 1/2 or 1/3 of the indicated spots, with the expectation that over time they'd send runners out and populate all the open spaces (I would prevent them from growing in the 'river').



Thanks everyone! I appreciate the comments.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
I was told that Pygmy chain sword did well in low setups (and it very well may). It just won't do anything for me except die. LoL Now I have Microsword that has grown and actually sent out runners but it hasn't down much lately its kinda staled out. If I was you I would still try with the exceptions it won't grow and be shocked when (if) it does.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
my only reccomendation is to throw in a some vallisneria somewhere... more contrast would also be good-

echinodorus var 'vesuvius' = contrasting shape
Crypt Wendtii 'bronze' or 'red' = contrasting color
both do ok in low light.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
my only reccomendation is to throw in a some vallisneria somewhere... more contrast would also be good-

echinodorus var 'vesuvius' = contrasting shape
Crypt Wendtii 'bronze' or 'red' = contrasting color
both do ok in low light.
Don't Vals need somewhat hard water? I have pretty soft water, around 2 dGH. I actually want a tall stringy like plant but have heard vals don't do well in soft water. I've thought about some Cryptocoryne spiralis though.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Don't Vals need somewhat hard water? I have pretty soft water, around 2 dGH. I actually want a tall stringy like plant but have heard vals don't do well in soft water. I've thought about some Cryptocoryne spiralis though.
Yeah I have heard the same thing about the vals.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you help me aquascape? Castiel Beginner Planted Aquarium 4 04-10-2012 01:52 AM
Help creating my first aquascape? Limeylemon Beginner Planted Aquarium 1 09-20-2011 03:55 PM
My Aquascape Blaxicanlatino Beginner Planted Aquarium 8 04-22-2011 02:10 PM
new aquascape SinCrisis Freshwater Journals 13 02-08-2011 06:46 PM
10 g Aquascape help ForestGupp705 Beginner Planted Aquarium 5 11-23-2010 04:17 PM


Tags
125 gallon, aquascape

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.