Aquarium Set Up Not Against A Wall? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Aquarium Set Up Not Against A Wall?

I'd like to set up a 50 gallon (or so) tank in the middle of the room, as a divider to separate the dining area from the living area. Usually you'd have a couch or something for this.

Issues are power supply and direct sunlight from a window. BUT, are there other things I have not thought of??

I'll have the proper shading on that window so will not be any direct sunlight, and figure just run the power cords under a runner rug to the wall outlet.

There are no kids that might bump into it. No wild parties where people might bump into it.

Guess against a wall there would be shadows and in middle of room would be brighter during the day. Are there certain types of fish that would not like that??

Thanks for this forum. I had a tank years ago & knew little of what I have learned reading here. Plan to do it right this time far as pairing the right fish species and the cycling, etc.

So, other issues on having a tank in middle of room???

Thanks!
ss1120 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1120 View Post
Issues are power supply and direct sunlight from a window. BUT, are there other things I have not thought of??

I'll have the proper shading on that window so will not be any direct sunlight, and figure just run the power cords under a runner rug to the wall outlet.
depending on how permanent you want it to be, and if you own the house, and if you have access to the floor below....i suppose a few other factors might come into play...
but you could always run a new electrical outlet and have the receptacle inside the stand... GFI outlet with a cover of course!! thats what i would do anyway... you would see not a single wire or runner
Andrewz00 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
It is an interesting question, whether some fish might be continually stressed in such an aquarium. It is probably worth considering depending upon the type of fish you plan for this aquarium. Fish that are influenced by the colour of the substrate (which most all forest fish are), the presence of floating plants (some will only venture out under such cover), etc. may find four open expanses of "space" an issue. I don't know.

On a purely stability issue, I would want the stand very solid and secure; a few times I have banged into furniture, though never aquaria along walls. Then, the more "open" the aquarium is, the more vulnerable to all sorts of things like vacuums, brooms, people, chairs tipping...these things can happen to any of us. Built into a wall divider would be safer.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewz00 View Post
depending on how permanent you want it to be, and if you own the house, and if you have access to the floor below....i suppose a few other factors might come into play...
but you could always run a new electrical outlet and have the receptacle inside the stand... GFI outlet with a cover of course!! thats what i would do anyway... you would see not a single wire or runner
Thanks

I do own the home and would be as permanent as these things go. Can think of no reason I'd change it long as it works for the fish.

My thought is to be able to enjoy it from the entry way, dining room, living room, & kitchen (which looks out to this living/dining area). This also brings up the "back" of tank where filters are stored. That "back" would be facing my living room so that view would be obstructed unless can work a way to best install the filters. Can they be installed on a side wall instead of back wall?

Yes, I thought of an outlet at the stand and that may be way to go. But with carpet over a cement foundation, sounded involved to cut up the carpet and cut into the cement to run a line?!
ss1120 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
worth considering depending upon the type of fish you plan for this aquarium. Fish that are influenced by the colour of the substrate (which most all forest fish are), the presence of floating plants (some will only venture out under such cover), etc. may find four open expanses of "space" an issue. I don't know.

On a purely stability issue, I would want the stand very solid and secure....
I have lots of reading to do on type of fish. 'fraid I do not know what a forest fish is. I will not have live plants in this; too much to take in for a first tank.

And yes, I looked at a few stands and said no way. Stability is most important. Long as I get a sturdy stand, I am not worried about minor bumps. thanks!
ss1120 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1120 View Post
I have lots of reading to do on type of fish. 'fraid I do not know what a forest fish is. I will not have live plants in this; too much to take in for a first tank.

And yes, I looked at a few stands and said no way. Stability is most important. Long as I get a sturdy stand, I am not worried about minor bumps. thanks!
"Forest fish" is a term for all of the characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish), rasbora, danios, dwarf cichlids, angels, discus, gourami, most catfish... basically, those fish that naturally ocur in smallish streams and creeks or pools in the forested tropical areas.

Live plants are not as difficult as fish in my view, and they make a tremendous difference to not only the look of the tank but the water stability. Unless you are thinking more of large fish that would eat them.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 06:39 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1120 View Post
Yes, I thought of an outlet at the stand and that may be way to go. But with carpet over a cement foundation, sounded involved to cut up the carpet and cut into the cement to run a line?!
ahhh that might cause a problem! LOL! i have the same issue, in a basement apartment though. Another option would be to built a half wall as a divider and use that as the stand. since you are on a concrete slab, weight isnt an issue as long as your construction is solid! ive done that for a friend of mine, same situation... we simply built a dividing wall between the living and dining room and used it as the stand for the tank.... nice way to hide alllll eqpt and electrical etc... plenty of storage space too..
Andrewz00 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
New Member
 
Good concept of the location for a sight all around. I do like this idea.
karjean is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
"Forest fish" is a term for all of the characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish), rasbora, danios, dwarf cichlids, angels, discus, gourami, most catfish... basically, those fish that naturally ocur in smallish streams and creeks or pools in the forested tropical areas.

Live plants are not as difficult as fish in my view, and they make a tremendous difference to not only the look of the tank but the water stability. Unless you are thinking more of large fish that would eat them.
Are there plants that require minimal (or no??) trimming? I have enough landscaping to keep up with outside.

thanks for forest fish info
ss1120 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1120 View Post
Are there plants that require minimal (or no??) trimming? I have enough landscaping to keep up with outside.

thanks for forest fish info
There are quite a few plants that would do well with fine gravel substrate and moderate lighting and require little pruning or trimming. Crypt's ,Java Fern, Anubia,and mosses all would maybe be a consideration.
Byron ,and others,could possibly present even more options but the few I have mentioned ,,are good hardy plants to perhaps begin with.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 510.3 ltr Hole in Wall Marine Aquarium Scuba2121 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 10-01-2009 07:44 PM
moss wall Ohhmgeitsbri DIY Aquarium 1 06-28-2009 11:15 PM
wall of tanks kyoshi Freshwater Journals 20 12-15-2007 07:23 PM
Help setting up wall mounted salt-water aquarium okorkie Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 3 06-07-2007 04:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome