Anyone here have a 300 gallon fresh water tank? - Page 5
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Anyone here have a 300 gallon fresh water tank?

Anyone here have a 300 gallon fresh water tank?

This is a discussion on Anyone here have a 300 gallon fresh water tank? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> How often do you do a water change? And how much do you change when you do them? It may seem like they are ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb
Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb
Rainbow Shark
Rainbow Shark
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Anyone here have a 300 gallon fresh water tank?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #41
 
Calmwaters's Avatar
 
How often do you do a water change? And how much do you change when you do them? It may seem like they are doing ok but in the end the angel will suffer could you rehome him or put him in another tank? Have you thought about putting a black background on the tank it would really make the fish stand out.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #42
 
XShido's Avatar
 
im looking forward to FINALLY!!!!! buy a background this weekend.
water change, about 20% weekly, 5%due to water evaporation, 4%of water inside the filter, the rest bucketing =D
Weekly, sometimes every 2 weeks.
XShido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #43
 
Calmwaters's Avatar
 
I would suggest removeing at least 30% straight from the tank each week that may help with the yellowing. : )
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #44
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Yeah, Goldfish not a good mix with the Angelfish. I too would be increasing the amount of water changes you do. I know that I do overboard but I am a clean freak when it comes to my pets. I do HUGE water changes 60% every 4-5 days. I really like that clear water look. My fish are so used to me, they just wait for me to finish and then start swimming victory laps.

Do you have a Python Siphon? If not, you might wish to invest in one. It is so easy andd quick to do those water changes then. Just hooks up to your tap and then you empty and refill. Works great!

I needed a metal adapter for mine but now... I am the water changing queen. Can't wait to see your tank with the new background. You are going to be shocked at how much more the fish stand out.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #45
 
XShido's Avatar
 
dont have Python Siphon yet.
60% every 4-5days? are you sure your tank has cycled complete?
XShido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #46
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
inga you forgot the massive sized industrial filter thats gonna cost a bomb to buy, abomb to set up,a bomb to fix and maintain not to mention the energy bill
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #47
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Do you have a Python Siphon? If not, you might wish to invest in one. It is so easy andd quick to do those water changes then. Just hooks up to your tap and then you empty and refill. Works great!
Not to get off topic, but how's that work with city water? Would you add conditioner to the tank as you are refilling it because in my case at least, I would be adding chlorinated water directly into the tank. In the past I would always prefill buckets the day before to allow them to air out or at least I would condition the water in the bucket prior to adding it to the tank.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #48
 
BarbH's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Not to get off topic, but how's that work with city water? Would you add conditioner to the tank as you are refilling it because in my case at least, I would be adding chlorinated water directly into the tank. In the past I would always prefill buckets the day before to allow them to air out or at least I would condition the water in the bucket prior to adding it to the tank.
Yes you would add the conditioner right into the tank before you start refilling.
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #49
 
for what it"s worth in looking for that wonderful big tank try craigs list. I've seen some pretty big ones on there. The best was an 800 gallon custom build that came out of a restarant. (it was designed to be built into and act as a wall) still in working condition they were trying to move right away. I think they were just asking $2000. No stand of course. I've seen severy 200gal or more pop up on therefrequently. once in a while there are even some 500 gal. Can't hurt to look if your dreaming.

Love the idea!

Food for thought. :)
lcbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #50
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XShido View Post
dont have Python Siphon yet.
60% every 4-5days? are you sure your tank has cycled complete?

Oh yeah, my tank has been running for a long time but... I am a clean freak when it comes to my animals. I see no down side to keeping the water super fresh. The only filter besides the plants that I have is a sponge filter and the tank looks awesome. I am trying to keep it as natural for the fish as I can. Fish don't sit in the same water in nature, the water continues to circulate. Obviously in a tank, it gets old fast so... frequent large water changes for me. That said, doing it with the Python type siphon is a piece of cake.

Quote:
Not to get off topic, but how's that work with city water? Would you add conditioner to the tank as you are refilling it because in my case at least, I would be adding chlorinated water directly into the tank. In the past I would always prefill buckets the day before to allow them to air out or at least I would condition the water in the bucket prior to adding it to the tank.
Yeah, I fill right from my city water without letting the water sit. I hook a hose to my tap and fill. I do add some PRIME to the wate in the tank as I am filling it though.

Quote:
for what it"s worth in looking for that wonderful big tank try craigs list. I've seen some pretty big ones on there. The best was an 800 gallon custom build that came out of a restarant. (it was designed to be built into and act as a wall) still in working condition they were trying to move right away. I think they were just asking $2000. No stand of course. I've seen severy 200gal or more pop up on therefrequently. once in a while there are even some 500 gal. Can't hurt to look if your dreaming.
Really? And you didn't buy it? lol I have never seen a 300 gallon tank come up. I have seen several 150 gallons and a few 200 but they are usually set up with salt water and they want you to take everything. It is costly and I do not wish to go through the hassle of faking someone elses tank down, and trying to rehome their fish etc...

I do keep looking though, just in case. My house couldn't fit an 800 gallon but wouldn't that be fun???
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Gallon Fresh Water Advice? dancexonxwater Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 03-18-2010 09:28 PM
Tips Stocking for 8 Gallon Fresh water Tank milindsaraswala Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 11-03-2009 04:30 PM
Tips Stocking for 8 Gallon Fresh water Tank milindsaraswala Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 10-13-2009 02:57 AM
My first fresh water test results from my 30 gallon tank GOURAMIKEEPER83 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 4 10-05-2009 03:00 PM
55 gallon Fresh water tank Jolly Jerry Freshwater Journals 11 06-21-2009 11:39 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.