Angel Fish - conflicting info
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Angel Fish - conflicting info

Angel Fish - conflicting info

This is a discussion on Angel Fish - conflicting info within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I visited a LFS today and the person there told me I could put Angel Fish in my tank. I have a 14 G ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Barred Pencilfish
Barred Pencilfish
False Adolfo Cory
False Adolfo Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Angel Fish - conflicting info
Old 06-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
 
FlashGuppy's Avatar
 
Angel Fish - conflicting info

I visited a LFS today and the person there told me I could put Angel Fish in my tank. I have a 14 G Bio Cube and was concerned about the water current being too strong. I've always thought Angel Fish like a still water tank. Also he told me the PH can be between 7 and 8? My water is on the hard side tho, so I am thinking a no go? I'm trying to decide what to put in my Bio Cube.

Also.....I've got a 20 G tank set up and have had it up for a few weeks now. Everyone in there seems to be doing fine. I've tested my parameters and they are stable. My question is about a week ago I purchased a power blue gouramie and he is a swimmer. Aren't they suppose to be slow and steady in the tank. This little guy is like the energizer bunny.. Wow can he go! Bu he's the fist one to food and when you approach the tank he seems very people oriented and not shy. Just wondering about his constant swimming back and forth seems like he never stops to take a rest. And also my 2 Cory cats do the same thing. They spend more time swimming mid stream than perusing the gravel for goodies. Anyone have any ideas? I don't think this is the norm for these specific fish but yet on the other hand they seem lively and healthy.
FlashGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGuppy View Post
I visited a LFS today and the person there told me I could put Angel Fish in my tank. I have a 14 G Bio Cube and was concerned about the water current being too strong. I've always thought Angel Fish like a still water tank. Also he told me the PH can be between 7 and 8? My water is on the hard side tho, so I am thinking a no go? I'm trying to decide what to put in my Bio Cube.

Also.....I've got a 20 G tank set up and have had it up for a few weeks now. Everyone in there seems to be doing fine. I've tested my parameters and they are stable. My question is about a week ago I purchased a power blue gouramie and he is a swimmer. Aren't they suppose to be slow and steady in the tank. This little guy is like the energizer bunny.. Wow can he go! Bu he's the fist one to food and when you approach the tank he seems very people oriented and not shy. Just wondering about his constant swimming back and forth seems like he never stops to take a rest. And also my 2 Cory cats do the same thing. They spend more time swimming mid stream than perusing the gravel for goodies. Anyone have any ideas? I don't think this is the norm for these specific fish but yet on the other hand they seem lively and healthy.

No, an angel would NOT be suitable for your 14g. An angel would get too big for that size... and angels prefer groups of 5 or more, requiring at the very least, a 55g tank. Angels also dont like heavy currents, or irritating fast swimming fish, or too small fish that they will see as food. We can always brainstorm ideas though for your bio cube!

For the gourami in the 20g, dont know what to tell you. I have an opaline gourami and she doesnt like me and hides, but she loves my bff and comes out everytime she comes to visit me. For the cory though, I can tell you that they really need to be in a group of at least 4 cories. And some cory species are more active than others, for instance with mine, my two large emeralds tank surf all day, while the other cories are all pretty docile. However, tank surfing is thought to be an act of spawning :) So, the over activeness could just be some good 'ol spawning, or it could be their particular species, or it could be them stressing from not having more cories for security feelings.
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
 
bigehugedome's Avatar
 
Hi and welcome to TFK.


I agree that angels will not work in your cube. We have a section called "tropical fish profiles" (top navigation bar) that has plenty of info on specific species.

There are plenty of people that will be able to help you decide on fish that will work in your cube, but we would need to know your water parameters (ph., hardness, etc.) from your tap. You should post this info, and check out the profiles for a species you like that would meet those parameters and fit in your tank. Then we can let you know what works and what does not. Also during this time, make sure your tank is properly cycled.


Also, on your 20 g. What is your setup like? Gourami’s also like still water and subdued lighting (floating plants), and a place to hide if needed. If you meet these requirements and he is not swimming around erratically then everything should be fine, allthough he may calm down some if he feels more secure.

Last edited by bigehugedome; 06-27-2011 at 09:39 PM..
bigehugedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehugedome View Post
Hi and welcome to TFK.


I agree that angels will not work in your cube. We have a section called "tropical fish profiles" (top navigation bar) that has plenty of info on specific species.

There are plenty of people that will be able to help you decide on fish that will work in your cube, but we would need to know your water parameters (ph., hardness, etc.) from your tap. You should post this info, and check out the profiles for a species you like that would meet those parameters and fit in your tank. Then we can let you know what works and what does not. Also during this time, make sure your tank is properly cycled.


Also, on your 20 g. What is your setup like? Gouramiís also like still water and subdued lighting (floating plants), and a place to hide if needed. If you meet these requirements and he is not swimming around erratically then everything should be fine, allthough he may calm down some if he feels more secure.
Agree on the gourami part. However, if there wasnt a lot of places to hide, gourami tend to stick themselves in the top rear corners of the tank, as they are often the darkest, stillest, and safest feeling place for them. I would think that an active gourami would be a happy gourami.

And yes, Welcome to TFK!!
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
 
FlashGuppy's Avatar
 
Thank you for the welcomes! And for helping me with my questions.

Here is my tank's profile. I have a Marineland 20 G with LED lights. The plants I have inside of it are low light plants. Java fern, Pennywort, Banana plant and some water sprite. I have gravel as substrate and use lava rocks as decor along with a couple of fake plants for color. I use a Penguin 150 Bio wheel that came with the tank for filtration. The temp sits between 76 an 78 degrees.

PH - 7.6
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Hardness - 75

That was about a week ago and today I plan to check it again.

I'm planning to go back to the LFS o get more plants to fill it better so the fish can feel more at home and secure.

I've been browsing thru the fish profiles and have seen quite a few that my fish store carry but as with the Angel Fish with conflicting info I got yesterday I thought I'd ask just in case. Glad I waited as he was ready to sell me a bunch of little Angels. lol....

Right now in my 20 G I have 14 fish. If I got anymore cats would that be over crowding?

1 - Fancy guppy
1 - Platy
1 - Balloon Molly
2 - Cory cats
5 - Neon Tetras
3 - Black Tetras
1 - Gouramie
FlashGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGuppy View Post
Thank you for the welcomes! And for helping me with my questions.

Here is my tank's profile. I have a Marineland 20 G with LED lights. The plants I have inside of it are low light plants. Java fern, Pennywort, Banana plant and some water sprite. I have gravel as substrate and use lava rocks as decor along with a couple of fake plants for color. I use a Penguin 150 Bio wheel that came with the tank for filtration. The temp sits between 76 an 78 degrees.

PH - 7.6
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Hardness - 75

That was about a week ago and today I plan to check it again.

I'm planning to go back to the LFS o get more plants to fill it better so the fish can feel more at home and secure.

I've been browsing thru the fish profiles and have seen quite a few that my fish store carry but as with the Angel Fish with conflicting info I got yesterday I thought I'd ask just in case. Glad I waited as he was ready to sell me a bunch of little Angels. lol....

Right now in my 20 G I have 14 fish. If I got anymore cats would that be over crowding?

1 - Fancy guppy
1 - Platy
1 - Balloon Molly
2 - Cory cats
5 - Neon Tetras
3 - Black Tetras
1 - Gouramie
The temp is good.
More plants will help lower that ammonia level to 0 where it needs to be.
Personally, what you have now is slightly overcrowded. I say this for a couple of reasons & also want to point out some other things for you...
1- Mollies are fairly large fish, and personally a 29g is probably the smallest size they should be in. Caution as mollies and guppies can crossbreed.
2- You said your gourami is a powder blue, do you mean dwarf gourami or blue gourami... as the difference between the two is major... a dwarf is fine for a 20g, when a blue is not. Gourami are also a big pooper and are relatively heavy on bio loads.
3- Glad you want to add cories, as they should always be in a group, usually 4 is a recommended minimum. Depending on what species of cory if its advisable on your tanks bio load, however cories do best in groups, they actually need it. Sometimes 3 is okay, as they dont do so well solo or paired, and at least with 3 its more of a group feeling.
4- Although neon tetra and black neon tetra will often school together and can look similar, they actually are not really related, despite their looks and names.
5- For your tank size, you have a good filter. And LED lights are great because they dont add any extra heat yet provide adequate lighting for plants.
6- My personal choice if it were my tank, would be to remove the livebearers (platy, guppy, molly), replace them with one or two more cories, and that would be it (depending if the gourami is dwarf or not). That is just what I would do, not saying you should as it is your tank and your choice. But I do think one more cory is definitely needed. And if you add one, you would continue to be overcrowded, but I dont think it would be TOO overcrowded, but the molly really should have a larger tank. However, based on your water parameters with hard water and the higher pH, the neon tetras really arent suitable, as they prefer softer water and a bit lower pH level. Now, hard water is ideal for livebearers. You could fill your 14g with guppies and platies easily... that would be color and they cant crossbreed if you make sure you do all of the same sex per species.
7- Most pet stores, LFS, and chain pet stores know very little to nothing about the fish they sell. They are in the business to make money, not to make sure their fish are sold to appropriate homes. Its sad, but true.

Again, these are just my opinions regarding the information you have provided. I am sure others might have slightly different opinions, but either way, I hope you find TFK to be a useful tool for your in your fish keeping hobby, and that we can help you have beautiful and healthy tanks and fish.
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I am in agreement with what Bigehugedome and Amanda have suggested.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
 
FlashGuppy's Avatar
 
Yes, the Powder Blue Gouramie is a dwarf. I really like them out of all the Gouramies.

I would love to have more Mollies, i.e. a bigger tank. My one little girl is actually small...she's a balloon molly and I think my Platy is bigger than she is. Have had them both for about a year. I too have heard that guppies and mollies can breed.

Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas. My Bio Cube may yet become the livebearer tank and my 20 G the schooling fish tank with more Corys. Wonder why and maybe someone can give me an idea.....the Neons that I've gotten in the past, I've never had a problem with them acclimating to my water. The black Neons I have I got them when they were teeny weeny and now they are getting big...I can see the growth change. Can they acclimate to water like some of the other fish can?

Also I'm wondering, since my Bio Cube is only 14 G, what other bottom dweller could I put in that doesn't need to school since I'll be limited on the number of fish moreso than say in the 20 G?

Still sorting thru the fish profiles....have some thinking to do......
FlashGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashGuppy View Post
Yes, the Powder Blue Gouramie is a dwarf. I really like them out of all the Gouramies.

I would love to have more Mollies, i.e. a bigger tank. My one little girl is actually small...she's a balloon molly and I think my Platy is bigger than she is. Have had them both for about a year. I too have heard that guppies and mollies can breed.

Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas. My Bio Cube may yet become the livebearer tank and my 20 G the schooling fish tank with more Corys. Wonder why and maybe someone can give me an idea.....the Neons that I've gotten in the past, I've never had a problem with them acclimating to my water. The black Neons I have I got them when they were teeny weeny and now they are getting big...I can see the growth change. Can they acclimate to water like some of the other fish can?

Also I'm wondering, since my Bio Cube is only 14 G, what other bottom dweller could I put in that doesn't need to school since I'll be limited on the number of fish moreso than say in the 20 G?

Still sorting thru the fish profiles....have some thinking to do......
1- Balloon mollies are a hybrid and often have their own set of issues. The balloon look is actually a deformity, and most balloons dont live nearly as long as a molly should, they are also susceptible to diseases and illnesses due to their weakened immune system. They also seem to have aggressive issues, assuming that would have to do with their deformed hybridization.

2- If your guppy is a male and your molly a female, it is very possible you will get babies... they are called Muppies. Muppies are thought to be infertile and unable to reproduce themselves, and some believe their lifespan to be shortened. I wonder if the balloon deformation would have a deeper effect on birth defects and lifespan on a muppy??

3- Most fish can easily acclimate to any water conditions and seem healthy and happy. However, a fish in inappropriate water parameters will have plenty of internal issues, shortened lifespan, and there are slight differences you may not even realize. Like neons colors can be slightly duller, and you might not notice if you havent seen them in their needed water parameters. I can vouch for this particularly since I have neons, use to keep them in their ideal parameters, and ended up moving them to a different tank with a temp change of 2 degrees, and the difference in their colors and behavior was very noticeable, and the water being different gave my 3 females reproductive issues, and they were unable to drop eggs, swelled up and died within only a couple of months of being in the slightly warmer tank. Now I only have my 2 males left. I dont want to add more neons since I dont want to change the temp due to the other fish's needs, so now my 2 lone neons get nippy with each other. It makes me sad, but I know I either keep them until their end, or find them a suitable new home, which I am in the process of doing. *Most people dont seem to realize how long the lifespan of their fish are. Most be surprised to hear that even the lifespan for a guppy is over 5 years with great care and lower temps. Temp changes adjust metabolism, high temps speed it up which in turn speeds up the life process, and slower the opposite. So if a neon dies in under two years, that is super short. Tetras can have very long lives, like 8-10 years... other species of fish go into 20+ years.*

4- Bottom dwellers for your 14g... Bottom dwellers are a personal choice, they arent a need for a tank. If you have a sand substrate in it, and its fully cycled and your water parameters meet up right, dwarf cories, like corydora habrosus, would be size appropriate. Shrimp and snails also work. Or maybe instead of any fish, the 14g could be home to a small crestasian (sp) like some of the mini lobsters you can sometimes find at quality LFS. Another thought for your 14g is ADFs (african dwarf frog), a group of them would be at home, and they arent very sensitive to pH or water hardness.

Hope this helps and clears some things up for you. Others can probably go into detail for you on a more scientific detail on some of it if you need them to.

Last edited by LasColinasCichlids; 06-29-2011 at 09:52 AM..
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
 
FlashGuppy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
1-

Hope this helps and clears some things up for you. Others can probably go into detail for you on a more scientific detail on some of it if you need them to.
Thank you again for all your input and advice. I so appreciate your help and ideas.

LOL @ "Muppies"...I did not know that!

Next course of action will be to get to the LFS to stock up on more plants.
FlashGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Platy vs Angel Fish: MY PLATY IS A MEANIE! Nipping at my angel fishes' fins. egduf8 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 03-10-2011 07:45 AM
Angel fish : need info please Fleuryy Cichlids 4 02-13-2010 10:11 PM
Checking twice and got conflicting info on HILLSTREAM LOACH catfishtabbi Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 01-20-2009 02:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.