12-22-2011, 11:06 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by 1077
AHH Yes,, that is very good point with respect to sudden algae die off.
I was spitballin without knowing how many Angelfish, or frequency of feeding's, but you caught what I did not so this is good.
Never saw the need for UV myself, and would prefer to determine the cause of algae,green water.
Thanks. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that the OP has green algae water after only 3-4 weeks with a new tank. I guess we might conclude that the lights are on too long and/or some other negative such as over feeding/excess detritus or insufficient water changes may enter into the equation here?
I have never used a UV sterilizer either. I tend to think that some algae growth, like having some snails, is a very good thing, but I have never been over-run with algae or had green water either. In theory, I suppose a UV sterilizer, in addition to 'cleaning' green water, could minimize or prevent fungus and parasite like critters in the water column. We'd likely agree this could be a good thing if the evil got past our other defenses.