ammonia, nitrite spike - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » ammonia, nitrite spike

ammonia, nitrite spike

This is a discussion on ammonia, nitrite spike within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by rhymon78 ok, I have only just started using prime myself, as I had a nitrite spike out of nowhere last week. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Pearl Gourami
Pearl Gourami
Pepper Cory
Pepper Cory
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
ammonia, nitrite spike
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
ok, I have only just started using prime myself, as I had a nitrite spike out of nowhere last week. Prime was suggested to me as a quick fix to get rid of the nitrite.

When testing the water after dosing with prime, I believe that the test will stick pick up ammonia and nitrite as the tests can't differentiate between ammonia and ammonium (prime converts the harmful chemicals into harmless chemicals for a while) which is actually not harmful to fish. I could be wrong here, but basically if your dosing prime correctly and water changing every day/other day and are still seeing levels, they are probably harmless levels.

I do not know enough to be able to say...just ride it out. you need to make your own judgement, if things look bad then you need to do something. others will help, better than me, I am sure.

Sorry if I have confused you.

urghhh I haven't explained that at ALL well. sorry.
Just in addition to this.

Water changes will help you tank because it will dilute the poluted water in your tank with fresh water. That is why water changes are so beneficial.

Also, Prime turn ammonia into Ammonium which is not toxic to fish. It also makes nitrite neutral and not harmful to fish for a period of about 24-48 hours.

I would do daily testings. If any ammonia or nitrite appear. do at least a 30% water change.

If you see a spike then you want to do at least a 50% water change. When and if an ammonia or nitrite spike occurs you can double or triple dose with prime to help with the fish.

Keep checking every day and once things settle down you can switch to once a week 30% water changes and every month you can do about a 50% water change and clean stuff out.

You don't want to clean the filter unless its decomposing and falling apart. The bacteria in there are good for the tank.

Try also not to disturb the substrate as bacteria will live in there as well.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
I disagree as Java Fern and Anubias are two of my favorite plants.

Depending on the strand the Fern could be short or tall.

Good buy IMO

You should really look into Java Moss and Hornwort.
I love Anubias and Java fern also Termato, the only reason I said avoid for now is because they are slow growing, and faster growing stem plants would be better just to see them through this crisis. thats the only reason. they are better than nothing, but not sure what good they would do for purifying the water.
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
 
Termato's Avatar
 
How to Plant Anubias

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
I love Anubias and Java fern also Termato, the only reason I said avoid for now is because they are slow growing, and faster growing stem plants would be better just to see them through this crisis. thats the only reason. they are better than nothing, but not sure what good they would do for purifying the water.
I don't know if you mentioned this or not but I made this image just in case ;)

See attached image below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anubiasInstruct.jpg (33.2 KB, 11 views)
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
I don't know if you mentioned this or not but I made this image just in case ;)

See attached image below:
wow, didn't know you could bury the roots, i knew the rhizome shouldn't be buried in the substrate, thats interesting!
rhymon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
wow, didn't know you could bury the roots, i knew the rhizome shouldn't be buried in the substrate, thats interesting!
Yeah I have both of my anubias roots buried and they have both been growing.

The newest one I got was rotting when i got it and it now has 3 new leaves and the roots are starting to green.

Doing really well so far :)

You can see here how the stem is some what rotted. The three small leaves in the middle are new and there is green starting to come from the ryzome.

It's a bad picture. I will take a better one later to put up.


I have the rhizome about 1 inch above the substrate.

Last edited by Termato; 05-09-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitrite Spike Promelas Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 17 04-03-2010 12:55 AM
NitrIte spike! Claudia1002 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 02-21-2010 06:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.