Originally Posted by rhymon78
ok, I have only just started using prime myself, as I had a nitrite spike out of nowhere last week. Prime was suggested to me as a quick fix to get rid of the nitrite.
When testing the water after dosing with prime, I believe that the test will stick pick up ammonia and nitrite as the tests can't differentiate between ammonia and ammonium (prime converts the harmful chemicals into harmless chemicals for a while) which is actually not harmful to fish. I could be wrong here, but basically if your dosing prime correctly and water changing every day/other day and are still seeing levels, they are probably harmless levels.
I do not know enough to be able to say...just ride it out. you need to make your own judgement, if things look bad then you need to do something. others will help, better than me, I am sure.
Sorry if I have confused you.
urghhh I haven't explained that at ALL well. sorry.
Just in addition to this.
Water changes will help you tank because it will dilute the poluted water in your tank with fresh water. That is why water changes are so beneficial.
Also, Prime turn ammonia into Ammonium which is not toxic to fish. It also makes nitrite neutral and not harmful to fish for a period of about 24-48 hours.
I would do daily testings. If any ammonia or nitrite appear. do at least a 30% water change.
If you see a spike then you want to do at least a 50% water change. When and if an ammonia or nitrite spike occurs you can double or triple dose with prime to help with the fish.
Keep checking every day and once things settle down you can switch to once a week 30% water changes and every month you can do about a 50% water change and clean stuff out.
You don't want to clean the filter unless its decomposing and falling apart. The bacteria in there are good for the tank.
Try also not to disturb the substrate as bacteria will live in there as well.