Would just like to say this is a very useful forum and I appreciate all the help I've received from it, even if it wasn't directly towards me yet!
Anyway, I decided to purchase the API liquid test kits for ammonia levels the other day. I wasn't really having many issues but I wanted to check my ammonia levels to be safe. I did recently have a platy who grew what looked to be a tumor on the side of his head and he died a few days later. The tumor seemed to appear out of nowhere, so it was another good reason to buy a kit.
Well, I tested the water and to my surprise the test turned dark, dark green signifying 8.0ppm or higher. This caught me pretty off guard, so I did around a 40-50% water change. The next day I did another test and the results were the same. Again, I did about a 40-50% water change. The next day, I did another test and the results were slightly
better but not by much. Test revealed a dark green colour that was slightly more translucent than the previous tests. Again, I did a similar water change, then tested the water the next day with the same results.
Given the amount of water turnover, I'm really confused as to why the ammonia could possibly be so high? I tested the tap water and it came out 0 ppm. I'm afraid to change any more water as I'm worried that could shock their systems too much with the water chemistry changing so much.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Here's my set-up and fish: Tank:
20G Tank w/Penguin Biowheel filter (the one that can filter up to 50G) Fish:
4 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Fancy Guppies
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Dwarf Puffer
1 Ghost shrimp
4 Ammano Shrimp
There's also some of what I believe to be malaysian trumpet snails in the tank. No live plants, standard gravel substrate.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!