Am I overstocked? Suggestions? - Page 5
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Am I overstocked? Suggestions?

Am I overstocked? Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Am I overstocked? Suggestions? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Byron No issues, my only suggestion is you need some middle fish or this is going to look like an empty ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Pygmy Hatchetfish
Pygmy Hatchetfish
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Am I overstocked? Suggestions?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No issues, my only suggestion is you need some middle fish or this is going to look like an empty tank with plants. Corys move around, but they are bottom primarily. Otos move around, but you really don't see them, i have five in one tank and have to hunt for them. S. nigriventris move around, but 3-4 isn't much activity mid-tank. And with either the hatchets or Pantodon, they are surface.

Mid-water fish I'm afraid takes you into characins (if not tetra, maybe pencilfish--there are some that swim at an angle, or some very colourful like the Coral Red), or rasbora.
Rummy Nose Tetras are nice. I read that they like the lower 1/3 of the tank though.
Neon/Cardnial Tetras are ok too, but I was hoping for something more unique.
Pencil Fish could work.

Celestial Pear Danios are nice too, but I don't know if they would nip at the Pantodon.
I like lots of gouramis, with pearls being my favorite.
I also like Glass Cats at lot, but I think they like a current in the water.

Last edited by AK Fresh Water; 06-27-2012 at 05:48 PM..
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No issues, my only suggestion is you need some middle fish or this is going to look like an empty tank with plants. Corys move around, but they are bottom primarily. Otos move around, but you really don't see them, i have five in one tank and have to hunt for them. S. nigriventris move around, but 3-4 isn't much activity mid-tank. And with either the hatchets or Pantodon, they are surface.

Mid-water fish I'm afraid takes you into characins (if not tetra, maybe pencilfish--there are some that swim at an angle, or some very colourful like the Coral Red), or rasbora.
Rummy Nose Tetras are nice. I read that they like the lower 1/3 of the tank though.
Neon/Cardnial Tetras are ok too, but I was hoping for something more unique.
Pencil Fish could work.

Celestial Pear Danios are nice too, but I don't know if they would nip at the Pantodon.
I like lots of gouramis, with pearls being my favorite.
I also like Glass Cats a lot, but I think they like a current in the water.

Last edited by AK Fresh Water; 06-27-2012 at 05:48 PM..
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #43
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Weird.
Double post. I didn't refresh the page or anything.
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #44
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Fresh Water View Post
Rummy Nose Tetras are nice. I read that they like the lower 1/3 of the tank though.
Neon/Cardnial Tetras are ok too, but I was hoping for something more unique.
Pencil Fish could work.

Celestial Pear Danios are nice too, but I don't know if they would nip at the Pantodon.
I like lots of gouramis, with pearls being my favorite.
I also like Glass Cats at lot, but I think they like a current in the water.
Yes, cardinals and rummys are lower half. Celestials are not advisable, this species is best alone as it mentions in the profile. Gourami, a trio of Honey (1 male, 2 female). At 5 inches, Pearl G needs more space.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Yes, cardinals and rummys are lower half. Celestials are not advisable, this species is best alone as it mentions in the profile. Gourami, a trio of Honey (1 male, 2 female). At 5 inches, Pearl G needs more space.
What about Glass Cats? Would they work?
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #46
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Fresh Water View Post
What about Glass Cats? Would they work?
I would want them in a larger tank. If you read the profile, it says they need a central swimming area with a gentle current, but they also need very quiet water to just "sit." This is achievable in 3-foot and larger tanks with the right filter, but in a small tank not so easy.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #47
 
AK Fresh Water's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would want them in a larger tank. If you read the profile, it says they need a central swimming area with a gentle current, but they also need very quiet water to just "sit." This is achievable in 3-foot and larger tanks with the right filter, but in a small tank not so easy.
Oh sorry. I did read it, but I guess I skimmed some areas.
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overstocked? fishfanJoey Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 03-25-2012 03:29 PM
Am i overstocked? Thumper Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 03-07-2010 12:59 AM
Am I overstocked? Rockey Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 08-05-2009 10:40 AM
Am I overstocked??? Trish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 08-07-2008 11:35 AM
Would this be overstocked? Dekz Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 30 07-21-2008 06:29 PM


Tags
catfish, cory, otocinclus, overstock, upside down

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.