air pump question - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
air pump question

Hi
i was in an aquarium buying a spare heater,the guy behind the counter was telling a customer about overstocking and a way of helping his situation was to put an airstone/pump into his set up,
Is this true in anyway ????????????
banzaibaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Snappyarcher's Avatar
 
To coin a phrase...... .... ummm sorry no its not!
How the hell does a air stone and the introduction of bubble make an over stocked aquarium bigger.....

BA, BSc, MA.... hopefully soon to be Phd.

Last edited by Tazman; 09-19-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: EDITED swear word out and removed irrelevant comments.
Snappyarcher is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaibaz View Post
Hi
i was in an aquarium buying a spare heater,the guy behind the counter was telling a customer about overstocking and a way of helping his situation was to put an airstone/pump into his set up,
Is this true in anyway ????????????
There was a guy behind a counter in your aquarium??? lol

A pump/air stone facilitates the carbon dioxide/oxygen gas exchange rates (as the bubbles break the surface) providing more oxygen in the water. If one was only thinking about available oxygen relative to stock level, we could conclude that more oxygen would allow more fish. However, an appropriate stock level is dependent on numerous variables, with O2 only one of many.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` •...><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • .. . ¸ ><((((º>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Member
 
newtchaplin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappyarcher View Post
To coin a phrase...... .... ummm sorry no its not!
How the hell does a air stone and the introduction of bubble make an over stocked aquarium bigger.....
It adds more oxygen so more fish can breath better.

I had a 20 gallon with platys and they were all gasping for air up top, I had 40" of fish in a 20 gallon, I added a bubbler and they stopped gasping and started swimming around. Never had a problem since.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
newtchaplin is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
As AD pointed out, the benefit here is increasing oxygen. When fish are under any form of stress, one way it affects them is by raising their metabolism so they require more oxygen entering the bloodstream. When there are more fish in the aquarium than what it can easily support, oxygen in the water will be less, making it that much more difficult for the fish to get more of it. Adding an airstone increases the gas exchange bringing oxygen into the water and driving out CO2. So in this sense, the fish is helped--but minimally. The stress caused by the overcrowding will still be present, and stress weakens the fish continually.

You might find this helpful:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...um-fish-98852/

The main point is that overcrowding an aquarium causes trouble that will affect the fish and lead to disease and early demise, and there is absolutely no way to offset this except by correcting the stocking.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Only safe way to increase the number of fishes in closed system such as our aquarium's, is to increase the volume of water with larger tank or sump.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Member
 
newtchaplin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
As AD pointed out, the benefit here is increasing oxygen. When fish are under any form of stress, one way it affects them is by raising their metabolism so they require more oxygen entering the bloodstream. When there are more fish in the aquarium than what it can easily support, oxygen in the water will be less, making it that much more difficult for the fish to get more of it. Adding an airstone increases the gas exchange bringing oxygen into the water and driving out CO2. So in this sense, the fish is helped--but minimally. The stress caused by the overcrowding will still be present, and stress weakens the fish continually.

You might find this helpful:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...um-fish-98852/

The main point is that overcrowding an aquarium causes trouble that will affect the fish and lead to disease and early demise, and there is absolutely no way to offset this except by correcting the stocking.

Byron.
You make a good point with the Co2, the tank that was overstocked all live plants died. So I made a Co2 out of a 2 litre bottle.

"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
newtchaplin is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Wet/Dry filter W/Pump idle0095 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 11-07-2010 07:42 PM
pump question? Leprichon Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 10-01-2008 01:55 PM
Another pump question papap Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 2 08-10-2008 07:32 AM
Air pump question nofinga911 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 09-18-2007 02:29 AM
Sump pump Question Robnjo Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 4 06-20-2007 08:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome