Advise for cleaning a 55 gallon aquarium I am rescuing - Page 4 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
AnnieH's Avatar
 
That is the tank as it right now, before moving it. I'm going to do it tomorrow.
Thanks for letting me know what type of fish they are. So I should take the fish out the shells and toss them, and then anything else in the tank except leave the gravel in it.

Can I take the gravel out to move and clean the tank and just transport it in a bucket or? I think it will be very heavy if I leave it in and will make cleaning the tank pretty difficult.

Or, just leave the gravel and work around it?

Thanks again!!
AnnieH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
AnnieH's Avatar
 
I dont know if there is a heater or not, however, there is one that is unopened with all the other things it comes with.

Ok, trash the gravel and try to keep the filter. Tomorrow I can check the other things you asked about and let you know. It will be late when I get home from work...around 5pm my time
AnnieH is offline  
post #33 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
That is the tank as it right now, before moving it. I'm going to do it tomorrow.
Thanks for letting me know what type of fish they are. So I should take the fish out the shells and toss them, and then anything else in the tank except leave the gravel in it.

Can I take the gravel out to move and clean the tank and just transport it in a bucket or? I think it will be very heavy if I leave it in and will make cleaning the tank pretty difficult.

Or, just leave the gravel and work around it?

Thanks again!!
Ha ha :) I was posting as you were. Check out my lengthy post right before this one. That gravel is going to be nasty but if you think you want to keep any of it.... remove it first. It's going to be heavy enough to transport without wet gravel.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #34 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
I dont know if there is a heater or not, however, there is one that is unopened with all the other things it comes with.

Ok, trash the gravel and try to keep the filter. Tomorrow I can check the other things you asked about and let you know. It will be late when I get home from work...around 5pm my time
I won't be around until late tomorrow night but there are plenty of peeps here to help you through this. Have no fear!

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Romad For This Useful Post:
AnnieH (04-25-2014)
post #35 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
AnnieH's Avatar
 
I forgot to add the photos of products that come with it. Here it is.

I don;t know if it already has an airstone. Looking at the whole tank photo, there is a round thing on the bottom of the tank with a hose attached to it. That could be an airstone. The part on the end that has the bubbles come out (it;s green) is covered in gunk.
AnnieH is offline  
post #36 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
AnnieH's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
the photo was too large so I resized it.

I don't know if it already has an airstone. Looking at the whole tank photo, there is a round thing on the bottom of the tank with a hose attached to it. That could be an airstone. The part on the end that has the bubbles come out (it;s green) is covered in gunk.
hmmm. having some technical difficulties posting this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06356.jpg (77.8 KB, 21 views)
AnnieH is offline  
post #37 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
AnnieH's Avatar
 
what time will you be online? :)

I already bought new gravel, so I can use it and follow your intstructions so long as the filter is okay.
AnnieH is offline  
post #38 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:41 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
I forgot to add the photos of products that come with it. Here it is.

I don;t know if it already has an airstone. Looking at the whole tank photo, there is a round thing on the bottom of the tank with a hose attached to it. That could be an airstone. The part on the end that has the bubbles come out (it;s green) is covered in gunk.
Yup, that's the airstone. Nice.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #39 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
AnnieH's Avatar
 
ugh. here are the other products!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06353.jpg (46.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06350.jpg (77.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06352.jpg (85.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06356.jpg (77.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06357.jpg (77.1 KB, 22 views)
AnnieH is offline  
post #40 of 100 Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
None of those products are useful except for the ph test kit - sorry :(

I'd check out the expiration date on the Ick guard or just toss it.

If you ever have to deal with Ich (they don't even spell it right) is to raise the heat gradually in your tank. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that.

It's always best to not add unnecessary chemicals to a tank. They're pretty much short term fixes and don't really solve anything in the long run.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advise on setting up new Hexagon freshwater aquarium melissa84008 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 2 06-18-2011 06:02 PM
Advise for setting up a 10 gallon... Calmwaters Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 09-21-2010 12:54 AM
im new , 150 gallon and need advise cmvette60 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 11-23-2007 04:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome