10-06-2009, 09:31 PM
| || |
OK...So, I had my filter intake about an inch away from the Substrate originally. I shortened the intake pipe making it about 5 inches away and added the "Pantyhose method". This worked for about 12 hours...but still it eventually came up with the same result of clogging my filter impeller. I took the time today to talk to some much more fish savvy people than me at my favorite fish store. I thought "I know they have sand in their display tanks with emperors running full tilt. What am I doing wrong??" So I asked just that. Come to find out that play sand is the worst possible kind of sand to use with this kind of filtration. It tends to be finer than anything else available. Making it inevitable that these tiny particulates will find their way into every nook and cranny. Ever have sand crack at the beach??? Kind of like that xD!! Anywho, so I just went throught the painstaking task of removing all the sand from the tank without disrupting the cycle. This was not easy. So any of you thinking of adding Play Sand to this kind of filtered tank...DON'T!!! The constant impeller cleaning and replacing isnt worth the bellyache or the cost. I also found that most Botia have no problem on coarse substrate...in fact they have found that their barbels just get thicker and stronger from constantly moving larger objects. Not a bad thing at all (Well...maybe for snails). So when its all said and done, Im back to the coarse substrate a clean filter with new impeller and sand all through my apartment plumbing. Thanks for all the input anywayz...and I hope this saves someone else the trouble in the future.