06-18-2010, 06:10 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by calamansi
sorry to hear about your loss
the nitrite levels possibly spiked since your filter was unplugged for days. this also means there is no water circulation, hence low oxygen levels.
when a filter goes unplugged for days, the 'good' bacteria becomes anaerobic and suddenly turning on the pump and reintroducing this bacteria to your tank can be harmful to fish.
Both points are very true.
Some fish require more water movement than others (due to their internal "design") and losing the water flow for several days when the filter is not operating can be catastrophic for such fish. The oxygen dissolved in water decreases as the temperature rises, so in warm water aquaria this is even more important. Oxygen also enters the water more through surface disturbance, and no filter flow will reduce this. Fish that need more oxygen will be deprived and under increasing stress. Many catfish seem to be in this category, from my experience.
The bacteria colonizing the filter media will die within a few hours if the flow of water ceases. This is important to remember if there is apower outage for more than a couple hours. The filter media must be rinsed before re-starting the filter, otherwise the all the toxic "stuff" immediately enters the aquarium. This can be fatal to some fish.