90g filter suggestions - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
Question 90g filter suggestions

I have an opportunity to get a 90g fish tank at a great price. I currently have a 55g with the Eheim 2213 running on it and will therefore need a new filter. Does anyone have suggestions on which filter to get?

I really like the Eheim Professional 2026 filter. It has a built in heater so there would be no need for a heater in the main tank and an automatic primer as well. However, this filter will cost almost as much as the tank, so I am looking for other options as well. Thanks, everyone!!

Looking at:
-Magnum 350 Pro
-Marineland c-Series
-RENA Filstar XP??
-Cascade 1000
-Fluval

Last edited by LisaC144; 03-22-2010 at 12:58 PM.
LisaC144 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
I have an opportunity to get a 90g fish tank at a great price. I currently have a 55g with the Eheim 2213 running on it and will therefore need a new filter. Does anyone have suggestions on which filter to get?

I really like the Eheim Professional 2026 filter. It has a built in heater so there would be no need for a heater in the main tank and an automatic primer as well. However, this filter will cost almost as much as the tank, so I am looking for other options as well. Thanks, everyone!!

Looking at:
-Magnum 350 Pro
-Marineland c-Series
-RENA Filstar XP??
-Cascade 1000
-Fluval
Why not try a 2217 Classic Eheim it will get the job done. I use one on my 90 gallon it sure will work as well. I believe they are rated for 156 gallons not exactly sure though you can check online though. If you don't want a heater inside the tank you can get an inline heater as well just connect it to your hose return this should do the trick. It should be alot cheaper than the 2026 or try to get a used one if you can try craigslist or ebay to get an idea what it would cost you. Sometimes you can find a great deal though eheim is hard to get simply cause there a great product.
JasonI is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
I am considering the 2217. The price is right. The thing with the Eheim 2026 is that for the price it will cost me for 2 large heaters for a 90g I can put towards the Eheim that has it built in. Decisions, decisions.
LisaC144 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
I am considering the 2217. The price is right. The thing with the Eheim 2026 is that for the price it will cost me for 2 large heaters for a 90g I can put towards the Eheim that has it built in. Decisions, decisions.
I happen to have one heater in my tank its an Ebo Jager also made by Eheim it's 250watts. I believe it heats my tank very well and Ihave it somewhere near the middle of the tank. It seems to be a lot larger than most heaters made by other manufacturers. It also states +/- 1 degree I believe it is accurate. Well it's really up to you and your preference. I just thought you may want another oppinion I would then try to get it used if you really want the one with a heater in it. I just checked it on this place aquariumgarden.com and they have this filter for $133.97 now that is a bargain for this filter. So maybe you can try and see if you find it at a cheaper price. This is new not used. Unless you prefer to buy a more expensive filter which is probably your other solution.
JasonI is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
WEll I have 1 250w heater and 1 200w heater on my 55g. I can still use the 250w and buy 1 more 250w for the 90g. i'll probably end up going that method. Hey, thaks for the link! I found it on Ebay for $145 shipped. I'll have to see which is the better deal.
LisaC144 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
I am considering the 2217. The price is right. The thing with the Eheim 2026 is that for the price it will cost me for 2 large heaters for a 90g I can put towards the Eheim that has it built in. Decisions, decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
WEll I have 1 250w heater and 1 200w heater on my 55g. I can still use the 250w and buy 1 more 250w for the 90g. i'll probably end up going that method. Hey, thaks for the link! I found it on Ebay for $145 shipped. I'll have to see which is the better deal.
Just checked there it is 133.97 shipped and that's new. I would say here you go this is the better deal and they also have nice plants I purcased some a while back from them. They even gave me some free plants at the time I purchased from them. Now that is courtesy.
JasonI is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
That's SHIPPED? I went on their website to check it out, but I didn't see free shipping posted anywhere. That will probably be the play then if I get this 90g. I think I might be. Thank you for your help!
LisaC144 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
That's SHIPPED? I went on their website to check it out, but I didn't see free shipping posted anywhere. That will probably be the play then if I get this 90g. I think I might be. Thank you for your help!
Yes that's shipped I put it in my cart to check what the shipping was and it said N/A taxes N/A I thought something was wrong I checked again and the same thing happen. I wish I would've known this when I purchased mine over a year ago as I purchased it for $149.99 + tax and it was in a pet store where I had purchased my 90 gallon. Which by the way I bought new for $197.99 with a metal stand which I hope to replace soon if I can find a good buy.
JasonI is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
I'd personally also go with the Eheim. Next in my favor line would then be Cascade and then Rena.

~ Life Is Too Short, Break The Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly, Love Truly, Laugh Uncontrollably And Never Regret Anything that Made You Smile.
Life May Not Be The Party We Hoped For, But While We're Here, We Should Dance. ~
Angel079 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
I'm going to go with the Eheim. I wanted to get the Eheim with the heater built in but it's $300....too much for a filter right now. I'm thinking 2217.
LisaC144 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter suggestions? Sageo3000 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 05-14-2009 07:45 AM
New filter suggestions stevef10 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 02-21-2009 12:34 AM
Filter Suggestions acidjed9 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 7 04-25-2008 12:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome