90 Gallon Tank - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » 90 Gallon Tank

90 Gallon Tank

This is a discussion on 90 Gallon Tank within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Boredomb There is some debate on that but in this situation I personally would add enough for the tank. After you ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Guppy
Guppy
Oscar
Oscar
Like Tree9Likes

Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
There is some debate on that but in this situation I personally would add enough for the tank. After you get the nitrites gone and the nitrates down I would just use enough for the amount of water you add back during a water change.
I'll agree, to keep the peace. But don't go overborard, I don't care what Seachem may say about doubling or tripling the dose...chemical is chemical and it adds stress to fish at the best of times, and even more when they are already weakened.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
 
Another one of my favorite angelfish have passed away. I am in the process of checking my sink water. Again none of the other fish seem to be bothered by anything..
Posted via Mobile Device
frrranklinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
 
pH is still at 7.6
Ammonia is at 0ppm
Nitrite is at .25ppm
Nitrate is at 40ppm maybe even 80ppm.

I did a water change about an hour ago, 50% and added two capfuls of prime. The other angelfish are doing worse than yesterday.
frrranklinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrranklinn View Post
I will test the water from my faucet when I get home. I will do daily 50% water changes with vacuuming the gravel. The angelfish are the only fish near the top of the tank. The other fish appear to be normal and eating. If I am doing a 50% water change should I add enough prime for 90 gallons? Or just half.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you using buckets or a direct in/out-flow water change system? If it's the former, treat per bucket volume each time, if it's the latter you would treat for the total tank volume. Given the situation and the concern about added stress by over-dosing (even though it's advised as safe by the product info) I would be tempted to go with buckets so that you can direct treat the water and not have to add any more chemical than absolutely necessary.
ZivaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
Are you using buckets or a direct in/out-flow water change system? If it's the former, treat per bucket volume each time, if it's the latter you would treat for the total tank volume. Given the situation and the concern about added stress by over-dosing (even though it's advised as safe by the product info) I would be tempted to go with buckets so that you can direct treat the water and not have to add any more chemical than absolutely necessary.
I am using a direct in and out flow water change system.

Here are the water parameters from the faucet

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - Very High - cant tell if either 2ppm-5ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm

I can't believe the readings for my faucet water...
frrranklinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrranklinn View Post
I am using a direct in and out flow water change system.

Here are the water parameters from the faucet

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - Very High - cant tell if either 2ppm-5ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm

I can't believe the readings for my faucet water...
This can be handled by using Prime for a conditioner or any conditioner that detoxifies these. There are several Prime is just one. Do you have any live plants?? These will help also. As for when to put the conditioner in I would still put it into the tank first then turn the water on and fill the tank.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
This can be handled by using Prime for a conditioner or any conditioner that detoxifies these. There are several Prime is just one. Do you have any live plants?? These will help also. As for when to put the conditioner in I would still put it into the tank first then turn the water on and fill the tank.
I do not have any live plants in my tank. I syphoned out half the water then before filling it back up, I put in the Prime (enough for the whole 90 gallon, not just the new water)
frrranklinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrranklinn View Post
I do not have any live plants in my tank. I syphoned out half the water then before filling it back up, I put in the Prime (enough for the whole 90 gallon, not just the new water)
Floating plants will help ad in the removal in nitrates in the water.
Also Abbeysdad has written a thread on how to handle this issue. You should read it as I think it will help you out. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-water-156489/
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frrranklinn View Post
I do not have any live plants in my tank. I syphoned out half the water then before filling it back up, I put in the Prime (enough for the whole 90 gallon, not just the new water)
Also I think you adding the amount of conditioner to cover the tank was a good idea at the moment but you may need to do more down the road (and I am not talking about adding more conditioner.) and that thread from Abbeysdad will explain and help more then I can at this point as I don't have nitrites or nitrates in my source water.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Floating plants will help ad in the removal in nitrates in the water.
Also Abbeysdad has written a thread on how to handle this issue. You should read it as I think it will help you out. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-water-156489/
What kind of plants should I add? I am not too knowledgeable about planted tanks. I have a Marineland LED lighting system. It is 1800 lumens
frrranklinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
55 gallon angel tank and 120 gallon semi aggressive allaboutfish Aquarium Photography 5 09-10-2012 02:14 AM
New 55 Gallon Tank: Combine All Fish Into One 55 Gallon Or Keep 2 10 Gallon? zaichev Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 09-06-2012 12:42 PM
Stocking my 105-gallon display tank and 20 gallon sump fishr4life Saltwater Fish 2 01-27-2008 02:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.