8 Hour Power Outage - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 12-13-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Amphitrite's Avatar
 
I think I'll invest in a battery operated airpump for next time this happens, but for now I'll just stir the water round every now and then and keep an eye on the fish. Thanks for all the replies everyone :D

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Amphitrite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
New Member
 
mgamer20o0's Avatar
 
a better idea might be one of those battery back ups like they have on comps. it will keep things going. for long amount of time or for lots of tanks ia generator would be a good thing to look into.

COAST SoCali Fish Club
SCAPE SoCali Plant Club
Bobs Tropical Plants
mgamer20o0 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Member
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
kate, you shoulda come over! I have flashlights

my power was in and out all day a few days ago, the fish did just fine :) and kate im glad to hear yours did too!

and as for the oxygen thing, yeah we exhale some oxygen but i think the aggrivation of the surface of the water did more good than anything in that case. with that being said, its probably just easier to stir the water lol

Dedicated, converted, lowes / home depot bulb buyer!
beetlebz is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Kate, you don't need battery powered backup pumps, why not get a backup generator like mine? It even runs about 85% of the house. Mine runs on natural gas. Does a fine job. The power goes out for over 1 minute and BAM!!!!!! I have power restored. Just like in the movies.
herefishy is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Member
 
SeaSerpant's Avatar
 
You just need some back up power then nothing bad will happen

55 Gallon Aquarium
1 Black Kuhli Loach
3 Black Skirt Tetras
4 Angelfish (3 Marble, 1 Gold)
1 Glass Fish
2 Blue Sunset Gourami
3 African Dwarf Frog
SeaSerpant is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Member
 
Falina's Avatar
 
Please don't take this the wrong way Kate, because I'm not trying to suggest you can't read or whatever. Just a wee note:

Both my gran and I got a letter saying the same thing (pretty much) and since we live relatively close then I though I'd mention it.

My gran, panicking about not getting her tea and lunch etc went out and bought a wee gas cooker thing to heat things up on, and dug out the radio since she wasn't ging to have any TV or anything. UNTIL, I pointed out to her that, like mine, the letter did not say it would be off between 8am and 4pm, but rather it said that it would be off for a 10 minute period between 8am and 4am.

Like I said, please don't take this the wrong way, just thoguht it was worth mentioning.
Falina is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebz
kate, you shoulda come over! I have flashlights

my power was in and out all day a few days ago, the fish did just fine :) and kate im glad to hear yours did too!

and as for the oxygen thing, yeah we exhale some oxygen but i think the aggrivation of the surface of the water did more good than anything in that case. with that being said, its probably just easier to stir the water lol
hehe yea i know it wouldnt help cause it only a little bit of oxygen we exhale but just thought i let people now a useless fact :D
southafrica1001 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Amphitrite's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falina
Please don't take this the wrong way Kate, because I'm not trying to suggest you can't read or whatever. Just a wee note:

Both my gran and I got a letter saying the same thing (pretty much) and since we live relatively close then I though I'd mention it.

My gran, panicking about not getting her tea and lunch etc went out and bought a wee gas cooker thing to heat things up on, and dug out the radio since she wasn't ging to have any TV or anything. UNTIL, I pointed out to her that, like mine, the letter did not say it would be off between 8am and 4pm, but rather it said that it would be off for a 10 minute period between 8am and 4am.

Like I said, please don't take this the wrong way, just thoguht it was worth mentioning.
Thanks Julie, but the letter said that power would be out for the full day which it was. It went off around 8.30am (which was good, because it gave time for a few cups of coffee first), and came back on around 5.30pm.

Good news - the fish were absolutely fine (I think they quite liked the candle-lit room)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone! :D

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Amphitrite is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Member
 
Falina's Avatar
 
Oh well. Thought it was worth mentioning. Not sure how long mine ended up being off for, but it couldn't have been long. I was out for about an hour at the time but the clocks needed re-set when I came back in so it must have been off.

Glad everything went well for you.
Falina is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 12-21-2007, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Amphitrite's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falina
Oh well. Thought it was worth mentioning. Not sure how long mine ended up being off for, but it couldn't have been long. I was out for about an hour at the time but the clocks needed re-set when I came back in so it must have been off.

Glad everything went well for you.
Hey - thanks for mentioning it though. The letter advised that we turn up our freezers full for twelve hours beforehand to prevent any food from defrosting, and they've dug up the whole street and are still working. The power was out again yesterday, but this time only for a couple of hours - hopefully that's the end of it.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Amphitrite is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power outage! ajmckay Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 8 01-01-2009 09:08 AM
Help with power outage situations Sirmo Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 08-22-2008 05:01 PM
power outage miagrrl Tropical Fish Diseases 4 03-09-2008 02:33 PM
Power outage squintsmom Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 05-27-2007 07:46 PM
power outage control DoubleT Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 16 01-31-2007 04:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome