55g Water Wont Stay Clear, NEW FILTER! - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » 55g Water Wont Stay Clear, NEW FILTER!

55g Water Wont Stay Clear, NEW FILTER!

This is a discussion on 55g Water Wont Stay Clear, NEW FILTER! within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Byron I'm going on the assumption that there are no live plants in this tank. This being so, algae will always ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Eyespot Rasbora
Eyespot Rasbora
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
55g Water Wont Stay Clear, NEW FILTER!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I'm going on the assumption that there are no live plants in this tank. This being so, algae will always occur in the presence of light, using the nutrients available from fish waste, fish food, minerals in the water (the harder/more basic the water, the more algae), etc.

Some of the fish mentioned are large waste producers; goldfish, parrot, pleco (if the common or another largish species). All this waste means "food" for algae. And waste not only includes the solid waste that gets broken down into organics, but the ammonia you can't see; algae is a plant, and all plants need nitrogen and ammonia/ammonium is a preferred source of nitrogen. Plus there is all the bacteria normally present in the aquarium, it also produces CO2 and waste to feed the algae. If you test your nitrates, I suspect they will be high.

If there are no plants, fish do not need lights if the room is naturally lit by daylight, so you could reduce the lights to only those hours when you are home to view the aquarium. The principle here is, the less light, the less algae. And I assume the cloudiness is greenish which is algae.

Byron.
I do have plants, about 7 of them, but they have been dying latley, not sure why, the ends are black and the leaves are become so thin, it looks like a frayed rope.
jonny steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny steele View Post
I do have plants, about 7 of them, but they have been dying latley, not sure why, the ends are black and the leaves are become so thin, it looks like a frayed rope.

there is prob not enough minerals in the water for them... are you using tap water? if so i recommend letting it sit for a week or so so the chlorine dissipates, then you can add solutions to the water for the plants.
if well water then make sure you filter it, then like in my case i use a few parts of my well water to a few more parts of the filtered water to get the proper water chemistry. not too hard which will goes with a high ph. dont use any checmicals to combat pH until you have the desired hardness.

as far as cloudy water activated carbon is your friend. shut the under gravel off for awhile and put fresh activated carbon in the other filter. rinse the filter media prior to installing.

also if you have drift wood, certain decorations or peat that can cloud your water.

alos also, i dont think the under gravel filter is good for the plants, possibly removing nutrients from the substrate. they can be the cause of the cloudy water if they are not growing well and decaying.

Last edited by tonycajjo; 10-04-2010 at 04:40 PM..
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
 
burnsbabe's Avatar
 
Unless I missed something, he doesn't have an undergravel filter. Also, carbon won't help his plant situation any right now. It's just going to suck all the micronutrients out of the water.

I wouldn't shut off the Penguin just yet with the kind of bioload you have in the tank. Run them together for a couple weeks at least and give the bacteria a chance to colonize the Eheim a bit.
burnsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsbabe View Post
Unless I missed something, he doesn't have an undergravel filter. Also, carbon won't help his plant situation any right now. It's just going to suck all the micronutrients out of the water.

I wouldn't shut off the Penguin just yet with the kind of bioload you have in the tank. Run them together for a couple weeks at least and give the bacteria a chance to colonize the Eheim a bit.
i think i may have responded to the wrong post...
tonycajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
 
Here are several pics i took with and without flash on my camera about 10 mins ago. Let me know what you think.....






jonny steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycajjo View Post
there is prob not enough minerals in the water for them... are you using tap water? if so i recommend letting it sit for a week or so so the chlorine dissipates, then you can add solutions to the water for the plants.
if well water then make sure you filter it, then like in my case i use a few parts of my well water to a few more parts of the filtered water to get the proper water chemistry. not too hard which will goes with a high ph. dont use any checmicals to combat pH until you have the desired hardness.

as far as cloudy water activated carbon is your friend. shut the under gravel off for awhile and put fresh activated carbon in the other filter. rinse the filter media prior to installing.

also if you have drift wood, certain decorations or peat that can cloud your water.

alos also, i dont think the under gravel filter is good for the plants, possibly removing nutrients from the substrate. they can be the cause of the cloudy water if they are not growing well and decaying.

I would more so expect their is a imbalance of light and nutrients. Overall the tank looks like it has original lighting, which IMO is not enough for plants in a 55gal. Also the plants in the pictures look non aquatic for the most part with is probably the #1 reason why they are dying. Tap water does not need to sit, dechlor will immediately remove chlorine and no length of siting will remove chloramines. Well water is hard to say exactly, since it can differ so much. I run low tech and high tech tanks and use 100% straight well water, with zero filtering. Just one end of hose on faucet and the other end in the tank. I currently use 3-4 different dry ferts to allow the fast plant growth in high tech tanks.

Carbon will help remove nutrients and minerals from the water, but is only good for about 3 days. If you are growing real plants it is not a good idea.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
 
Peanut72's Avatar
 
I had a problem with mine staying cloudy for a few weeks. I would do a pwc and it would clear up some and then right back to being cloudy again. But mine was milky cloudy. I fought this back and forth until I finally took out all of the plastic decor, except the plants which will be gone as soon as my order arrives, and put in some slate and driftwood. Like magic the next morning the tank was crystal clear. I bought my tank used and it was going and I believe the problem was with one of the plastic decor that was in there. Not sure if any of that helps you and, but thought I would share my probs as well.
Peanut72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Now that I've seen the photos, I would suggest the cloudiness is a bacteria bloom. It will clear on its own, additional water changes will only make it worse. I have 6 tanks running, and my 90g has been cloudy much like yours for months and months. Until this week. It has the same water, filter, lighting, maintenance schedule, similar fish and plants as the 115g. The 90g has always been troublesome with this, no idea why; I used to think it was the gravel which is different from the other tanks, and much harder to "clean" initially and when I move the tanks. But after 12 years I would expect it has settled by now.

On the plant issue, it is quite possible they are not true aquatic plants. Do you know what they were named?

And on your light, what tubes are you using? Give me the info that is printed on one end of the tube. And the tube length. I can probably suggest something better. And what if any fertilizer you are using (is that a plant substrate?).

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
 
Just to be on the same side, i went and bought a UV Sterlization pump from Petsmart (AAUV9W) and got that in the tank now, plus went ahead and replaced my Penguin 350 Filters and swapped my tank lights with some ZooMed 10,000k bulbs. (Petsmarts were all out of the PowerGlo in the 18" setup like mine). The lights look much better, i compared them side by side, made a nice diff, ill post pics up later. Just want to see if the UV kit makes a diff.
jonny steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
 
burnsbabe's Avatar
 
The light may look better, but, if the plants you have are aquatics (and they very well may not be) bulbs that are 10,000K aren't going to do them much good. Those are saltwater bulbs meant to go with the reefs that are usually featured in such setups. You need bulbs that are around 6,500K. That's the spectrum that's going to get your plants growing.
burnsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clear slime on New tank's filter Mettalikatt Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 07-28-2010 08:47 PM
PH wont stay down. Help Jimmy79 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 08-14-2009 07:38 PM
Weird clear gunk in my filter Blaxicanlatino Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 14 03-04-2009 07:17 AM
Aqua Clear, or Emperor Filter? ron4th Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 5 12-10-2007 09:29 PM
Just can't seem to get clear water.. jkastner19 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 09-30-2007 09:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.