55g Build Log - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » 55g Build Log

55g Build Log

This is a discussion on 55g Build Log within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Tank look good so far. You want a Venezuelan Pike Cichlid? There's a guy in Columbus giving one away. 12"...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Julii Cory
Julii Cory
Striped Plecostomus L199
Striped Plecostomus L199
Reply
Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #21
 
Strand's Avatar
 
Tank look good so far.



You want a Venezuelan Pike Cichlid? There's a guy in Columbus giving one away. 12"
Strand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #22
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
all full on the pike cichlids.

although i think my next tank will be a cichlid tank.

i also saw a guy selling a big moray eel for 50$ yesterday on CL haha
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #23
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
my plants finally shipped from sweet aquatics today! (after 11 days) so hopefully they get here by wednesday.

in case they do not.

im going out of town immediately after work on thursday and will not return until monday,

what instructions should i leave my roommate if the plants get here while i am gone?
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #24
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patadams66 View Post
my plants finally shipped from sweet aquatics today! (after 11 days) so hopefully they get here by wednesday.

in case they do not.

im going out of town immediately after work on thursday and will not return until monday,

what instructions should i leave my roommate if the plants get here while i am gone?
Open the packages and lay (float on the surface) the plants in the tank.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
ok my plants came today!

i realized i have no clue what im doing haha

some of the swords had roots over a foot long! so i stuck them in the sand and hopefully everything works out.

i did get two "potted" plants? do i bury the pots? take them out of the pots? i dont know haha

i seem to remember someone saying something about "dont bury the rhizome" but A) i dont know what a rhizome is. and B) i dont remember what plant type that was for

im not really happy with where i felt i "had" to place the plants either.

i left the two large pieces of driftwood where they were and planted around them. with the swords and the larger vals in the back and then it seems like i have 20 smaller plants all bunched up in the middle.

smaller vals the bunch plants and things like that all kinda got stuck in the middle. :/ when i get back from vacation i will post some pictures and i might have to re-arrange.
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #26
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
also i noticed on a couple of the swords:

coming up with the leaves there were some stems with what looks like roots growing out of them towards the ends.

i THINK i can trim these and plant them and they will grow into new plants?
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Take plants out of the pots, remove as much of the "wool" stuff as you can, and plant the roots in the substrate (or attach to wood, rock if it is one of those types). The latter, plants like Anubias and Java Fern, gtrow attached to objects and the rhizome should not be buried or it may rot. The rhizome is the thick "root" from which the leaves and smaller hair roots grow. Swords and crypts also develop a rhizome in time, but that can be planted in the substrate. It is only the Anubias and JF that should not.

Sword plants will "divide" by the rhizome/root, and sometimes nurseries put 2 or 3 small plants in one pot. If they spearate easily, OK. A photo of the plant root you are talking about would help.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Take plants out of the pots, remove as much of the "wool" stuff as you can, and plant the roots in the substrate (or attach to wood, rock if it is one of those types). The latter, plants like Anubias and Java Fern, gtrow attached to objects and the rhizome should not be buried or it may rot. The rhizome is the thick "root" from which the leaves and smaller hair roots grow. Swords and crypts also develop a rhizome in time, but that can be planted in the substrate. It is only the Anubias and JF that should not.

Sword plants will "divide" by the rhizome/root, and sometimes nurseries put 2 or 3 small plants in one pot. If they spearate easily, OK. A photo of the plant root you are talking about would help.

sadly this will have to wait till i return from vacation on monday or tuesday.

i kind of half burried the potted plants. will that be ok until monday night? (i burried the pots a little so they woudlnt bounce around or turn over)

what is the purpose of potting the plants? just curious.

Last edited by patadams66; 08-25-2011 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: additional question
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patadams66 View Post
sadly this will have to wait till i return from vacation on monday or tuesday.

i kind of half burried the potted plants. will that be ok until monday night? (i burried the pots a little so they woudlnt bounce around or turn over)

what is the purpose of potting the plants? just curious.
They will be fine in the tank until next week.

Some plants are potted so they grow stronger faster and will usually fetch a higher price.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
 
patadams66's Avatar
 
fetch a higher price for sure!
patadams66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trukgirl's 65g build trukgirl Saltwater Journals 251 03-04-2011 06:52 PM
50g build bones14 Freshwater Journals 40 10-07-2010 08:52 PM
My 29g and 55g new build mrmosin Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 8 09-26-2009 08:03 AM
2.5 Pico Build Kellsindell Saltwater Journals 79 08-20-2009 08:16 AM
120 gal build ledrel Saltwater Journals 8 03-28-2009 10:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.