30g, need help stocking - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
30g, need help stocking

Hi I have a new 30g tank, its a taller one, not column, but like 18 inches tall.
So anyway, I need some help stocking it. I have 2 gold tinfoils I'm putting in it for a few months until they outgrow it then they're going in a 75g. I want to build it around them and I'm hoping to have 8-10 fish in it. I want a catfish, too, and I was thinking a silver-tipped shark, but I don't think that work for more than 6-12 months. So any suggestions help. Just based around the 2 gold tinfoils and a catfish (oh and not like a Cory catfish, I don't like them).

Thanks!
Gerbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
From what I can find, the "Golden" Tinfoil Barb is a variant of the species Barbonymus schwanenfeldii. If this is the fish, it will need a 7-foot 200g tank at minimum, and it grows quite quickly to around 14 inches. Being active, it need space to swim. And it should be in a group of 6 as it is a shoaling fish.

Confined to a 30g will cause trouble as the fish grows. Growth is a continual process, and if the space and water conditions are not adequate throughout, stunting can occur. And being only two, social problems could occur; shoaling fish need a group to properly interact according to the species. When this is denied them, they often either become so stressed they don't last, or they turn more aggressive our of frustration.

Also not sure which species of "shark" you mean. The Silvertip is a marine fish.

We have fish profiles, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. Several "sharks" are included, under the Cyprinids. You can also see more info on the barb, the name above shaded so you can click on that for its profile.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
From what I can find, the "Golden" Tinfoil Barb is a variant of the species Barbonymus schwanenfeldii. If this is the fish, it will need a 7-foot 200g tank at minimum, and it grows quite quickly to around 14 inches. Being active, it need space to swim. And it should be in a group of 6 as it is a shoaling fish.

Confined to a 30g will cause trouble as the fish grows. Growth is a continual process, and if the space and water conditions are not adequate throughout, stunting can occur. And being only two, social problems could occur; shoaling fish need a group to properly interact according to the species. When this is denied them, they often either become so stressed they don't last, or they turn more aggressive our of frustration.

Also not sure which species of "shark" you mean. The Silvertip is a marine fish.

We have fish profiles, under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top. Several "sharks" are included, under the Cyprinids. You can also see more info on the barb, the name above shaded so you can click on that for its profile.

Byron.
Silver-tipped shark is a common name. Just type it on on google and you'll see what it is on the first link. They sell them at petsmart. Also, we have two 6-inch tinfoils in a 56g. They've been there, as a pair, for 4 years and never been aggressive and 4 years is a decent lenght. They stopped growing after 2 years so putting inch long ones in a 30g for a few months sounds okay. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think the groups of 6 in a 200g? It just isn't necessary. I might be new here because I was looking for some help on a couple things, like stocking this tank, but all I'm getting is criticized everytime I post...? I've been doing this for awhile, I feel okay doing it I'd be happy to keep you updated on our older pair and the new one if you'd like?? I thank you for your concern, but like I said, I feel okay doing it as I've done it successfully before.
Gerbo is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
Silver-tipped shark is a common name. Just type it on on google and you'll see what it is on the first link. They sell them at petsmart. Also, we have two 6-inch tinfoils in a 56g. They've been there, as a pair, for 4 years and never been aggressive and 4 years is a decent lenght. They stopped growing after 2 years so putting inch long ones in a 30g for a few months sounds okay. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think the groups of 6 in a 200g? It just isn't necessary. I might be new here because I was looking for some help on a couple things, like stocking this tank, but all I'm getting is criticized everytime I post...? I've been doing this for awhile, I feel okay doing it I'd be happy to keep you updated on our older pair and the new one if you'd like?? I thank you for your concern, but like I said, I feel okay doing it as I've done it successfully before.
Well, the first site I checked indicates this shark attains 24 inches; no 2-foot fish will work in a 75g tank so this also needs a 7-foot or better. Petsmart sell several fish that have no place in a home aquarium, as many other threads here will attest.

When you ask a question the response you will get from most of us will be sound and bearing the fish's best health in mind. That is all I am interested in, and I'm sorry if that disagrees with your thinking. I won't waste my time further.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
rhymon78 (05-07-2012)
post #5 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Well, the first site I checked indicates this shark attains 24 inches; no 2-foot fish will work in a 75g tank so this also needs a 7-foot or better. Petsmart sell several fish that have no place in a home aquarium, as many other threads here will attest.

When you ask a question the response you will get from most of us will be sound and bearing the fish's best health in mind. That is all I am interested in, and I'm sorry if that disagrees with your thinking. I won't waste my time further.
I understand it's best for them, but they can thrive in smaller aquariums. The way you guys come off makes it sound like it's THE only way. But thanks anyway.
Gerbo is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
the silver tip shark is also called Colombian Shark, it gets to be about 14" in length and needs to be transitioned from fresh to brackish to full marine as it ages
Quantum is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum For This Useful Post:
Gerbo (05-06-2012)
post #7 of 12 Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Columbian shark doesn't sound like a good idea for a freshwater tank.
The tinfoil barbs are huge fish, and need huge groups for security, maybe at minimum 125 gallons. Bigger is always better.

taking a break from fish-keeping.
3 lovely male betta still keep me company.

Last edited by Olympia; 05-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Olympia is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 AM
New Member
 
Sam Crow's Avatar
 
This isn't really an answer to the gentleman's question, but I'm of the opinion that only small, non-aggressive fish should be kept in a 30 or less tank size. But that's just me and my own personal taste/opinion.

I will soon be adding a new, larger tank. If my wife has her way, it's going to feature fish like a Black Ghost Knife or an Elephant Nose (one or the other, but NOT both). We are researching the appropriate fish to go along with our "centerpiece" fish. We got some great advice from a local fish guru. He said to find one fish that you absolutely love and really want. Once you know that, then you fill the rest of the tank with appropriate tank mates (which he will help us find).
Sam Crow is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Member
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
It is safe to say if you ask a question on here that raises red flags, your going to get one of two responses..

You'll either receive sound advice from many of the very experienced and knowledgable senior members of this site, or you'll get responses that you don't want to hear.

Either way these people are trying to help you, but ultimately the main concern it the fish and its welfare.

Getting defensive about an idea you have, when all of the factual evidence points in the opposite direction isn't really helpful to anyone, and if your just going to carry on doing what you want anyway, why ask for advice?

Peace always..

If you worry you die, and if you don't worry you still die..... so why worry?
rhymon78 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
It is safe to say if you ask a question on here that raises red flags, your going to get one of two responses..

You'll either receive sound advice from many of the very experienced and knowledgable senior members of this site, or you'll get responses that you don't want to hear.

Either way these people are trying to help you, but ultimately the main concern it the fish and its welfare.

Getting defensive about an idea you have, when all of the factual evidence points in the opposite direction isn't really helpful to anyone, and if your just going to carry on doing what you want anyway, why ask for advice?
I only plan on keeping them there for a few months. I have a 75g right now I want them in when they'll be big enough to not be picked on and my friend is giving me a 125g long soon. So I just was looking for other fish to go in it, not to be told what I'm doing wrong...
Gerbo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking! Bandy0390 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 47 03-18-2011 03:33 PM
Stocking 10g Retrospekt Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 6 05-10-2010 05:04 AM
stocking or OVER stocking?? molliefan09 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 17 10-11-2009 09:15 PM
Stocking 55 NBT Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 01-06-2008 11:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome