28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » 28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes

28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes

This is a discussion on 28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by HollyinWA Hi Byron, I do know where I can get the 30" fixture online...either Dr. Foster's or Petsmart or Petco (can't ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Discus
Discus
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
28" Lighting Fixture and 23" tubes
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinWA View Post
Hi Byron,

I do know where I can get the 30" fixture online...either Dr. Foster's or Petsmart or Petco (can't remember if I saw the dual at Petsmart online or Petco online. I have a fixture now and a glass top, but it is only a one tube fixture. I did see the T-5 fixtures online. When you say "this will be sufficient even with the smaller tube(s) you have now", do you mean if I found the same size fixture and tubes....that if they were T-5's, the length (23") tubes would be fine with the T-5's? Boy, I hope that question made sense.

Thanks.

~Holly
Yes. T5 HO tubes [HO means High Output] produce approximately 1.5 times more intense light than the same length tube in T8 (or T12 for that matter), but it needs a special T5 fixture. So 2 T5 HO tubes would be as much light as 3-4 T8 tubes the same length. Wattage means nothing in this, so don't let that distract you. So with the smaller length tube [as you now have] in T5 you would have more light than you have with the existing tube. So two T5 HO tubes in the smaller size would still give more light than two regular tubes in the larger length. Even one T5 HO tube might be sufficient. Hard for me to say, as I don't know the exact tank or surface.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Tubes come in 30-inch lengths, so if you can find a dual-tube fixture that takes a 30-inch tube, it would probably sit across the tank supported by the outer frame which is fine. A glass cover sitting inside the frame would work with this. I have one 30-inch 25w tube over my 33g and it is fine, so two over your 55g should work.

Alternatively there is T5 HO fluorescent. Depending upon the plants you want, and considering the water depth, this is a case where I would consider T5 HO lighting which will provide more intensity with just two tubes. This would be sufficient even with the smaller tubes like you now have, but you would need a new fixture. T5 tubes do not fit regular (T8, T12) fixtures, and vice versa.

Either way means new fixtures, and possibly a different cover/top.

Byron.
I am shopping right now for this fixture and the 30" fixture can handle two 17 watt T-8, T-10 or T-12's. I read on here that the T-8's are what to get. I assume that if you have one 25 watt bulb on your 33 gallon, than two 12 watts (t-8's) should be fine?
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
It appears that it states 17 watts because that is what it comes with. This tells me that I can get what I need for it, right. Not sure if the bulbs that it comes with is sufficient for live plants.
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Ok, I bit the bullet, and ordered both....the compact bulbs and the 30" fixture with the bulbs that is comes with. I am not sure if the bulbs are correct, so I may need to upgrade the bulbs.

I hope I made the right decision.
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinWA View Post
I am shopping right now for this fixture and the 30" fixture can handle two 17 watt T-8, T-10 or T-12's. I read on here that the T-8's are what to get. I assume that if you have one 25 watt bulb on your 33 gallon, than two 12 watts (t-8's) should be fine?
Two 12w is 24 watts, fine over my 33g but yours is a 55g so deeper and wider than my 33g. The type of tube makes a difference, the lumens indicate the intensity as watts is just the energy used. The w/gallon idea basically works over rectangular tanks of average depth with T8 lighting.

T8 tubes produce more light with less energy than the T12 although perhaps marginally, and T8's are said to last longer in terms of replacement. I also like them because they are narrower and thus easier to get in and out of fixtures.

B.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Well, I am confused again. I got my thirty inch fixture today.....delivered. I went to the fish store to pick up some guppies for my daughter's tank and happened to mention to the owner that I did get a new fixture. I told her what I got and she said it will still not be good enough. The 30 inch fixture takes 24 inch tubes which she said would be 20 watts per tube. She said that there needs to be so many wattages per gallons but can't remember the wattage per gallon...what she said. I remember reading on here that it is not really the wattage that is important but the type of light, etc.

What should I get? I do have the fixture that the tank came with that takes one tube so if worse comes to worse, I could put that on top too but not sure if it is going to look good. I have done this before and did not really like having two fixtures on top. The new one is one that is going to have to sit on top of the framing since I could not find the odd ball 28 inch fixture sold alone and not with a tank, and that is not something I really wanted so not sure if I want to also put another fixture behind it. My tank is not the standard 55/56 gallon.

Thanks for any clarification on what I am supposed to get in the way of lighting. I am online now looking at different types. I was going to go to Lowes and get what I was told on the board that should work but not sure if everyone here understood that my tank cannot hold a 30 inch tube because the fixture is only 30 and the tubes set a little inside the fixture. Not sure they would make a fixture that fits the same sized tube as the length of the fixture.

I have a feeling I should have gone the the triple t-5's fixture, but probably would have been more than I wanted to spend right now.

Last edited by HollyinWA; 01-23-2010 at 08:39 PM..
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Before you get frazzled, you're probably OK. We don't want you frazzin out on us.

Wattage is a measure of energy used by the tube, nothing more; for T8 and T12 tubes it is usually a reliable guide to intensity, though some manufacturers do things to increase a tube's intensity while retaining or lowering the wattage (energy used). The type of light has to do with the colour (full spectrum, warm or cool white, daylight...) which is also nothing to do with intensity generally speaking, but can be related. The lumens is a measure of the light intensity.

That's all I'm going to write at the moment. It is past supper time, my fish will be jumping out of the tank to track me down for their Saturday bloodworm treat, so I better not push my luck. When I have a clearer head tomorrow... B.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
 
Mean Harri's Avatar
 
I've never seen a 28" fixture so you may have to do the 30". Don't worry too much about the watts and the lady at your lfs can pound salt. Look at this fixture: Aqualight with Colormax & 6700k Fluorescent T-5 Lamps - 18W - 30 in.

It is T5 normal output bulbs. The wattage is low if your frame of mind is watts per gallon. But the T5 outputs more light at those lower watts used than a T8 that uses higher watts. I should say, for example, a T5 normal output 48" bulb is 28 watts. It uses 28 watts. And at that consumption it outputs just as much light if not more,than a 48" T8 bulb that uses 32 watts. Power compact bulbs output more than T8 and T12 as well. T5 high output put out approx. 1.5 times more light than a T12 or T8. So if you want to stay lower tech then forget T5 ho.
Mean Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Before you get frazzled, you're probably OK. We don't want you frazzin out on us.

Wattage is a measure of energy used by the tube, nothing more; for T8 and T12 tubes it is usually a reliable guide to intensity, though some manufacturers do things to increase a tube's intensity while retaining or lowering the wattage (energy used). The type of light has to do with the colour (full spectrum, warm or cool white, daylight...) which is also nothing to do with intensity generally speaking, but can be related. The lumens is a measure of the light intensity.

That's all I'm going to write at the moment. It is past supper time, my fish will be jumping out of the tank to track me down for their Saturday bloodworm treat, so I better not push my luck. When I have a clearer head tomorrow... B.
Thanks, Byron. That is what I remembered you saying. I look forward to the rest of your response. I was unsure if you realized that I could not find a 30 inch fixture also hold 30" tubes. It looks like the 36 inch fixtures hold the same length tube but not the 30 inch fixture that I found in two different places.

I will check back tomorrow. Thanks for giving me hope on what I have. :)
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
 
HollyinWA's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Harri View Post
I've never seen a 28" fixture so you may have to do the 30". Don't worry too much about the watts and the lady at your lfs can pound salt. Look at this fixture: Aqualight with Colormax & 6700k Fluorescent T-5 Lamps - 18W - 30 in.

It is T5 normal output bulbs. The wattage is low if your frame of mind is watts per gallon. But the T5 outputs more light at those lower watts used than a T8 that uses higher watts. I should say, for example, a T5 normal output 48" bulb is 28 watts. It uses 28 watts. And at that consumption it outputs just as much light if not more,than a 48" T8 bulb that uses 32 watts. Power compact bulbs output more than T8 and T12 as well. T5 high output put out approx. 1.5 times more light than a T12 or T8. So if you want to stay lower tech then forget T5 ho.
Hi and thanks for your reponse. I received the 30" inch fixture (dual bulb fixture) via Fed-X today. I will have to send it back if it is not going to be good enough, but that is going to be a drag if I have to do that and pay shipping. I am going to see what Byron says tomorrow. Not sure if he realized that I could only use the 24 inch bulb. Not sure if it is even going to matter since it is not always the wattage that is most important, like he is trying to explain and like what you are saying. That is funny about the LFS lady can just pound salt. She is very knowledgeable, but everyone has their ideas and what works for them. What I end up with may not be the absolute best but probably will do ok. Even the plants in my little 14 gallon without the right lighting for a few weeks look pretty darn good and look like they are growing. Of course the tank is not as deep but it is taller than a ten gallon. The right bulbs should be coming in on monday for that tank. I did not have to get a new fixture for that one, thanks goodness.

Thanks for the link. I will look at it now.
HollyinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what size is 48" wide, 19" deep and 23" tall redlessi Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 10-13-2009 10:51 PM
Modifying The flourecent fixture Compact 55 Watt 21" ShawnMcc Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 04-26-2007 11:50 PM
"Meat" coral - how long to "open"? Mike Coral and Reef Creatures 4 04-02-2007 01:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.