25 Gallon/97 Litre Community tank overstocked?!?! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
25 Gallon/97 Litre Community tank overstocked?!?!

Hi, I have a 25 gallon/97 litre community tank set up which I am planning to stock in the next couple of months. Would these fish be okay, or would it be overstocked?? It is a fairly well planted tank, with soft to mildy hard water conditions. These are the fish I was thinking of introducing:

6 Panda Corydoras Catfish
6 Neon Tetra
8 Harelquin Rasbora
1 Bolivian Ram Cichlid
1 Honey Gourami

If this would be overstocked would it be a good idea to either replace the Harlequins with another shoal of six tetra species or to just up the neons to 10?

Any advice would be great, thanks!
ChloeAndrews95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

First question, can you give us the numbers for the hardness (GH)? And also the pH (of the tap water)? This will make it easier to suggest fish, as I would make some changes to your list but want to know the numbers first.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I have yet to find out these numbers, I'm just getting a general idea of the compatibility of different fish and how many I can have before I condition the water to the selection of fishes needs. :)
ChloeAndrews95 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeAndrews95 View Post
I have yet to find out these numbers, I'm just getting a general idea of the compatibility of different fish and how many I can have before I condition the water to the selection of fishes needs. :)
While altering water chemistry is possible, it can be involved and expensive. That is up to you, obviously. Ascertaining the GH, KH and pH of your tap water from the local water authority would be wise. The method to adjust this might sway your thinking.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
While altering water chemistry is possible, it can be involved and expensive. That is up to you, obviously. Ascertaining the GH, KH and pH of your tap water from the local water authority would be wise. The method to adjust this might sway your thinking.

Byron.
Ahh, I see what you mean! I have found the specifics of the water in my area, but don't quite understand all of the units etc, it'd be great if you could help me make some sense of it! :)

ANALYSIS TYPICAL VALUE UK/EUROPEAN LIMIT UNITS
Hardness Level Hard No Standard Applies
Hardness Clark 16.00 No Standard Applies Degrees Clark
Hardness French 23.00 No Standard Applies French Degrees
Hardness German 13.00 No Standard Applies German Degrees
Aluminium 5.75 200 μgAl/l
Chlorine 0.22 No Standard Applies mg/l
Coliform bacteria 0.00 0 no./100ml
Colour 1.60 20 mg/l Pt/Co
Conductivity 545.33 2500 μS/cm at 20°C
E.coli bacteria 0.00 0 no./100ml
Fluoride 0.07 1.5 mgF/l
Iron 10.00 200 μgFe/l
Manganese 1.80 50 μgMn/l
Nitrate 28.66 50 mgNO3/l
Odour 0.00 Dilution Number
Pesticides 0.00 0.5 μg/l
pH 7.47 6.5 - 9.5 pH Value
Sodium 18.50 200 mgNa/l
Taste 0.00 Dilution Number
Plumbing Metals
Copper 0.02 2.0 mgCu/l
Lead 0.58 25 μgPb/l
Nickel 0.90 20 μgNi/l

Thanks again!
ChloeAndrews95 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 AM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeAndrews95 View Post
Hi, I have a 25 gallon/97 litre community tank set up which I am planning to stock in the next couple of months. Would these fish be okay, or would it be overstocked?? It is a fairly well planted tank, with soft to mildy hard water conditions. These are the fish I was thinking of introducing:

6 Panda Corydoras Catfish
6 Neon Tetra
8 Harelquin Rasbora
1 Bolivian Ram Cichlid
1 Honey Gourami

If this would be overstocked would it be a good idea to either replace the Harlequins with another shoal of six tetra species or to just up the neons to 10?

Any advice would be great, thanks!
In addition to the water parameters, what filtration set up do you have? And what substrate? I also have a very similar set up as yours. 25 gal planted, with soft water. And wanted to have a similar stocking as yours! Currently though I have rasboras (7), cardinals (10) and 2 honey gouramis... They are all doing well... I have a canister and a HOB for filtration......
rg0p is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg0p View Post
In addition to the water parameters, what filtration set up do you have? And what substrate? I also have a very similar set up as yours. 25 gal planted, with soft water. And wanted to have a similar stocking as yours! Currently though I have rasboras (7), cardinals (10) and 2 honey gouramis... They are all doing well... I have a canister and a HOB for filtration......
I currently have an elite stingray 15, but as I get more fish I plan to purchase another one of those. That's good to hear though, nice to know they should all get along! Do you think the water parameters I mentioned will be suitable??
Posted via Mobile Device
ChloeAndrews95 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
New Member
 
I'm sorry I misunderstood. Earlier you mentioned your water is soft to mildly hard. Looking at your numbers, your water appears to be very hard. Quite opposite to what I have! I understand cardinals and neons like soft water. Rasboras are very hardy and may be OK here. Folks with more experience will help you better, I'm sure. I am interested too to hear from them :)
rg0p is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg0p View Post
I'm sorry I misunderstood. Earlier you mentioned your water is soft to mildly hard. Looking at your numbers, your water appears to be very hard. Quite opposite to what I have! I understand cardinals and neons like soft water. Rasboras are very hardy and may be OK here. Folks with more experience will help you better, I'm sure. I am interested too to hear from them :)
I was the one who misunderstood, as my dad clearly gave my the wrong information initially aha. From my research it seems that all the fish I want will be fine with that water, apart from the corys, as they would prefer the water to be softer, but only by 0.17% so I'm hoping they'll be okay as they're meant to be hardy? If not I'll have to try and lower the water's pH. We'll see! :)
Posted via Mobile Device
ChloeAndrews95 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Yes, 13 dGH (the German number) is in the fairly hard range. This article may explain how all this relates:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/

Our fish profiles give the preferred ranges for each species, you should take a look at those too.

Without any changes, livebearers will fare well. And there are some other fish among the cyprinids, athernids and catfish. Plus the African rift lake cichlids, though a 25g tank is not sufficient for most of these. Several of the characins can adapt.

Extreme soft water fish like cardinals will not have an easy time in hard water. Adjusting the water parameters is possible, not via chemicals but by dilution with pure water (RO, distilled or rainwater works). This is easy enough initially, but obviously weekly water changes have to take this into account too.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stocking ideas for 24 gallon (110 litre) tank Tessa92 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 07-28-2012 09:25 AM
55 gallon community tank Josh19 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 05-15-2011 08:38 AM
What is litre and what is gallon? Nuttawet Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 09-15-2009 08:09 AM
30 litre (7 gallon) BiOrb - how many fish? advice please lillian Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 09-02-2007 11:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome