1 Week into Cycling Results - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Using media from an already well established tank will indeed speed the cycle up. It can still take some time though for the bacteria to fully establish.

What are you using to cycle the tank other than filter media?

We have a guide which you can look at, which will give you a lot of information. Here is the link http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
Thanks Tazman!

I am using plants (which I was told would help) and adding fish food into the tank, so far have added a pinch on 2 days, i felt that every day (as per the guide above and other forums) was a bit excessive.

I read that guide, thank you (that is why I was shocked at the 9 week comment) and used seeding (as above) and fish food. Just seem strange that people say "dont touch it for 8,9 even 10 weeks".

I must have been wrong, I thought you knew when your tank was ready because of water parameters, my mistake.
robedadam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 14 Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robedadam View Post
Thanks Tazman!

I am using plants (which I was told would help) and adding fish food into the tank, so far have added a pinch on 2 days, i felt that every day (as per the guide above and other forums) was a bit excessive.

I read that guide, thank you (that is why I was shocked at the 9 week comment) and used seeding (as above) and fish food. Just seem strange that people say "dont touch it for 8,9 even 10 weeks".

I must have been wrong, I thought you knew when your tank was ready because of water parameters, my mistake.
my bad mustn't of read it properly didn't see that it was a fishless cycle i always leave a smallish fish say 1 molly in there for around 6-7 weeks with 50% changes every 3-5 days depending on how far i am through the cycle then drip feed the fish every week adding 5 to 7 at a time
madyotto is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by madyotto View Post
my bad mustn't of read it properly didn't see that it was a fishless cycle i always leave a smallish fish say 1 molly in there for around 6-7 weeks with 50% changes every 3-5 days depending on how far i am through the cycle then drip feed the fish every week adding 5 to 7 at a time
No problem. That. Sounds like a good way, based on my last water parameters do you think I can put some hardy fish in there? Will hopefully do another test today. Did a 50% water change on 3rd October as per your advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
robedadam is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robedadam View Post
No problem. That. Sounds like a good way, based on my last water parameters do you think I can put some hardy fish in there? Will hopefully do another test today. Did a 50% water change on 3rd October as per your advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes for sure add one good sized fish upto 4inch or 2 small upto 2 inch each

hope all goes as well as it does for me
madyotto is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 week old 29G aquarium- cycling /overstocking query minnamom Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 25 09-28-2011 11:21 AM
Tank Cycling Question Week 7 MBilyeu Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 12-12-2008 08:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome