So at this time im soaking my wood, waiting for it to loose all its tannis and to sink. I have soaked it for about 2 days straight now and still floats. That is all im waiting on and i will then fill my tank and plant. But i have a few questions before then. Tank is a 72g bowfront.
1. I have 2x54w T5 glo fixture over the tank, about 5 inches above it. Using Turface as Substrate. Will be dosing Seachems comprehensive supplement and excel. How many times should i dose these two supplements per week? Trying not to go high tech with compressed co2 unless i really have to, which is why i raised the light 5" above the tank.
2. When getting a base readings of your water out of your tap do you just take a cup and fill and test right away? or do you at the water conditioners first and let sit for a bit then test? This is just to get a base of what my tap water is mind you.
3. I see Bryon and such saying to get plants that are for the fish you plan on havings enviorment. Well me being a newby to plants have no idea what plants the fish i plan on having are use to and what i should get. So could someone reccommend me some plants i should get? I do want to have some color in my tank, not just all green. Fish i plan on having are as follows: African Butterfly Fish
, Dragon Goby, Pleco. Thats pretty much all i have thought about so far but im sure the list will grow as i see more fish that i like.
4. What are your thoughts on and open top tank? i have glass tops, but with the adapters i have to raise the light off the tank the glass tops wont work. So i plan on just going open top. I know i will have to deal with evaporation but i plan to do water changes weekly.
5. When i t comes to performing the break in tank cycle i hear if your plant heavily to start with you dont really need to. Is this correct? Or am i better off just using some ammonia and perforing the cylce before i add and plants and fish anyways?
6. I am running one ehiem 2217 on the tank currently. I have the "upgraded" intake and spray bar ehiem pipes(grey ones). I have the intake in the back right corner and the sparybar mounted on the left side of the glass horizontally. Will this be enough flow that i need or should i get a Hydor Koralia Pump an put it on the left with the spray bar for more water movement? Also what size do you recommend for my tank as they are avalible in many diffrent sizes.