should i try senegal bichrs again or something else? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Ancient Fish » should i try senegal bichrs again or something else?

should i try senegal bichrs again or something else?

This is a discussion on should i try senegal bichrs again or something else? within the Ancient Fish forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Originally Posted by Sanguinefox Instead of buying more fish right now, stick with what you have and see if you can go more than ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Tire Track Eel
Tire Track Eel
Nunus Bumblebee Goby
Nunus Bumblebee Goby
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
should i try senegal bichrs again or something else?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
 
allaboutfish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinefox View Post
Instead of buying more fish right now, stick with what you have and see if you can go more than a month without problems. Also Bichirs are not exactly compatable with some of the fish you've got in there.

Firstly if you want a pleco you can't have a bichir. It's a known issue where plecos will munch on a bichir's slime coat. You also plan to have tetras? It's one thing if you are like me and your have full grown Senegalus Bichirs that have shown you they don't want to eat live fish, but you want to get unknowns where you won't know their temperament and try them with fish that at full growth may end up being a snack.

Don't do it. Until you get down for a good length of time running your tanks with zero issues don't get more fish.
The bristle noses are not known for doing that. They are one of the only plecos you can keep with them. The condos are a very large and fast tetra that would be very difficult for a Senegal to get. I'm not having any issues with my tank other than the senegals going missing a good while ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
The bristle noses are not known for doing that. They are one of the only plecos you can keep with them. The condos are a very large and fast tetra that would be very difficult for a Senegal to get. I'm not having any issues with my tank other than the senegals going missing a good while ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Incorrect, all Plecos are known for having this particular potential issue regardless of the species. They at times decide to prey on slower moving species slime coats. Even if you didn't have those issues you've got other fish that you are thinking about that could potentially be a bichir snack.

Cut the Bichir out of the equation and you open up a lot of options.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
 
allaboutfish's Avatar
 
Could I do rope fish? I really like the look of the bichr and according to monster aquaria networks profile for bichr the Congo tetras and bristlenose pleco should be fine with one. I'd give it up for 3 rope fish, some pictus cats, or another cool looking ancient fish like the Senegal bichr.
Posted via Mobile Device
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
 
allaboutfish's Avatar
 
Link to other forum removed. Please avoid posting links to other forums. Thank you. give this a read. Scroll down to tankmates
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Olympia; 09-04-2012 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: Outside forum link.
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
Could I do rope fish? I really like the look of the bichr and according to monster aquaria networks profile for bichr the Congo tetras and bristlenose pleco should be fine with one. I'd give it up for 3 rope fish, some pictus cats, or another cool looking ancient fish like the Senegal bichr.
Posted via Mobile Device
The thing you have to remember about sites that are for "Monster keepers" is that they tend to attract a kind of fish keeper that is more like a trophy king. These people care most about showing off monster fish, and at times less about the actual health and long term being of their fish. I do not trust the advice of such people or sites that promote "Monster keeping" and you can blame MFK for that.

Congo Tetras get what...3-4 inches? A good full grown Senegalus can get to 12" plus and of the bichirs they are the smallest. Obviously there is a certain risk involved.

How long is your 120 gallon tank? How wide? How tall?

EDIT: Oh it is that site. Yeah throw their advice into the garbage where it belongs. Too many people in that site don't care a wit for their animals.

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 09-04-2012 at 12:24 AM..
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
 
allaboutfish's Avatar
 
It's 48x24x24 and I was on that site and am a active member on a sister site of theirs and I know they care about fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #17
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
The bristle noses are not known for doing that. They are one of the only plecos you can keep with them. The condos are a very large and fast tetra that would be very difficult for a Senegal to get. I'm not having any issues with my tank other than the senegals going missing a good while ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
This may be why you don't get good answers - whenever someone tells you something, you tell them they are wrong. You did the same thing in the goldfish thread. It's very... Off putting for someone like me, or fox in this case, to offer help based on our years of experience with the fish in question, to then be told how thing are by someone with absolutely no experience. Can you see that?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
It's 48x24x24 and I was on that site and am a active member on a sister site of theirs and I know they care about fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've been there and seen the kind of garbage "Info" they give to first time or anticipating poly keepers. They advocate things like overstocking tanks which leads to aggression issues, allowing for no hide spots to prevent aggression because they already keep too many animals in one tank...and I saw how they tried to encourage a first time to overstock a 75 gallon with multiple bichirs and ropefish.

Sorry, it is what it is that you are not likely to get good advice from a place like that. If you want your fish to be happy, and for you to not have additional unnecessary expenses down the road please listen to those who truly care.

I personally would not suggest keeping even rope fish in a tank the size of what you have. These are fish that can get easily 2-3 feet or more and need to have multiple members because they are social fish. Think about this. You want to put a fish that stretched out is 3 feet long in a tank that is 4 foot long that is also 2 feet wide? It cannot go one foot without bumping into a wall and when full grown it's going to be interesting trying to move in a tank when you are constantly hitting the sides.

I understand you really want to keep these fish the Bichirs. But they have certain requirements including the rope-fish. What you can do is go with one of the smaller species of bichir but make sure that any fish you get have an adult length of around 5-6 inches at least. Feed your bichir on only pre-killed foods and ensure it has it's own hide spot for when it wants to get away. Pay attention to your bichir as it starts to grow up (get it young). If you get some floating plants for the top of your tank the bichir should be able to find that and use it to float and get easy access to air.

You could also get something like a 20 gallon long and use it as a temp grow out for the bichir if you are worried about it having too much difficulty getting air access in the big tank. Only get one bichir. A tank your size can easily see aggression issues because bichirs like having a lot of space to themselves.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguinefox For This Useful Post:
TehOtter (09-28-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
 
allaboutfish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
This may be why you don't get good answers - whenever someone tells you something, you tell them they are wrong. You did the same thing in the goldfish thread. It's very... Off putting for someone like me, or fox in this case, to offer help based on our years of experience with the fish in question, to then be told how thing are by someone with absolutely no experience. Can you see that?
I took the advice in the goldfish thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #20
 
allaboutfish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinefox View Post
I've been there and seen the kind of garbage "Info" they give to first time or anticipating poly keepers. They advocate things like overstocking tanks which leads to aggression issues, allowing for no hide spots to prevent aggression because they already keep too many animals in one tank...and I saw how they tried to encourage a first time to overstock a 75 gallon with multiple bichirs and ropefish.

Sorry, it is what it is that you are not likely to get good advice from a place like that. If you want your fish to be happy, and for you to not have additional unnecessary expenses down the road please listen to those who truly care.

I personally would not suggest keeping even rope fish in a tank the size of what you have. These are fish that can get easily 2-3 feet or more and need to have multiple members because they are social fish. Think about this. You want to put a fish that stretched out is 3 feet long in a tank that is 4 foot long that is also 2 feet wide? It cannot go one foot without bumping into a wall and when full grown it's going to be interesting trying to move in a tank when you are constantly hitting the sides.

I understand you really want to keep these fish the Bichirs. But they have certain requirements including the rope-fish. What you can do is go with one of the smaller species of bichir but make sure that any fish you get have an adult length of around 5-6 inches at least. Feed your bichir on only pre-killed foods and ensure it has it's own hide spot for when it wants to get away. Pay attention to your bichir as it starts to grow up (get it young). If you get some floating plants for the top of your tank the bichir should be able to find that and use it to float and get easy access to air.

You could also get something like a 20 gallon long and use it as a temp grow out for the bichir if you are worried about it having too much difficulty getting air access in the big tank. Only get one bichir. A tank your size can easily see aggression issues because bichirs like having a lot of space to themselves.
Ok so what's a smaller species of bichr? Or maybe even an active catfish I can keep?
Posted via Mobile Device
allaboutfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think my Senegal bichrs died or escaped :( allaboutfish Ancient Fish 10 08-25-2012 03:21 PM
senegal bichr has red fin allaboutfish Tropical Fish Diseases 6 08-11-2012 11:43 AM
senegal bichir jb92 Ancient Fish 7 03-28-2007 11:15 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.