Leaf fish? - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 09-13-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman6
do u mean the dwarf variety or the regular ones...yes the dwarfs you can fit up to 4 in a ten gallon but for the regular ones you can only house one in a ten gallon and depending on the size of guorami he may try to eat him...i have had quite a bit of these in the past and one of mine almost ate a full grown betta
i just want to put a fish with it...
Deku is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman6
do u mean the dwarf variety or the regular ones...yes the dwarfs you can fit up to 4 in a ten gallon but for the regular ones you can only house one in a ten gallon and depending on the size of guorami he may try to eat him...i have had quite a bit of these in the past and one of mine almost ate a full grown betta
i just want to put a fish with it...
its confusing...
Deku is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman6
do u mean the dwarf variety or the regular ones...yes the dwarfs you can fit up to 4 in a ten gallon but for the regular ones you can only house one in a ten gallon and depending on the size of guorami he may try to eat him...i have had quite a bit of these in the past and one of mine almost ate a full grown betta
i just want to put a fish with it...
its confusing...
also i decided i like this ram...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYxFc...eature=relatedand i wanted to know what species it is (common name) and if i can house it with a african clawed frog? i heard these fish could be housed together
Deku is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Member
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
You really shouldn't house any fish with an African clawed frog. The frog will eat any fish that can fit in its large mouth.

Now, if it's an African dwarf frog, that's another story.

4 8 15 16 23 42
iamntbatman is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman
You really shouldn't house any fish with an African clawed frog. The frog will eat any fish that can fit in its large mouth.

Now, if it's an African dwarf frog, that's another story.
once i had a goldfish ( he was diff) and he and the frog got a long
Deku is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Member
 
okiemavis's Avatar
 
Once ADF's get older, they will attack and kill fish. I think they can be fine when they're quite young, which is probably why it worked out.
okiemavis is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiemavis
Once ADF's get older, they will attack and kill fish. I think they can be fine when they're quite young, which is probably why it worked out.
once again i do not own a dwarf species just a clawed species....its fully grown...maybe i should just drop the whole a 10gallon fish tank and just put either a tarantula or a redheaded desert centipede or a snake of some sort(of course a small snake)
Deku is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Member
 
tophat665's Avatar
 
Back on leaffish for a second. Word has it they positively require live foods. That's the leaffish proper, South American and Asian, not the climbing perches.

Logic is only the beginning of wisdom
tophat665 is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 11-23-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophat665 View Post
Back on leaffish for a second. Word has it they positively require live foods. That's the leaffish proper, South American and Asian, not the climbing perches.
yes i just found out mines a climbing perch aka leopard bush fish. though why do they call it "climbing perch" whats the climbing part for?
Deku is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Member
 
tophat665's Avatar
 
I think the climbing part is probably bunk. I read somewhere years and years ago that they could drag themselves out of the water and move short distances over land on their pectoral fins. I think someone got the ability to breathe atmospheric oxygen (like all labyrinth fish) confused with the ability to move about on land. The morphology is all wrong for that (though I could be wrong, it would surprise me if I were). Also, IIRC, I read this around the same time that people were going bug---k about clarias "walking catfish" "Invading" Florida and eating small dogs. No doubt they rode about the countryside on Cane Toads. Like I said, Bunk.

Logic is only the beginning of wisdom
tophat665 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
african leaf fish teddyzaper Ancient Fish 22 12-22-2012 07:15 PM
Leaf fish compatibility tchild316 Ancient Fish 3 03-09-2010 09:43 PM
Question about Leaf Fish CamryDS Ancient Fish 9 11-22-2009 01:17 AM
Schomburgki Leaf Fish fishluver06 Ancient Fish 1 05-12-2008 01:11 AM
leaf fish Nikola Ancient Fish 7 03-13-2007 04:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome