i nearly died of shock last nite
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Ancient Fish » i nearly died of shock last nite

i nearly died of shock last nite

This is a discussion on i nearly died of shock last nite within the Ancient Fish forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> before my hubby went to sleep last nite.he went to look at our favorite fish the arowana on the balcony.he yelled for me saying ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Nunus Bumblebee Goby
Nunus Bumblebee Goby
African Butterfly Fish
African Butterfly Fish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
i nearly died of shock last nite
Old 09-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Unhappy i nearly died of shock last nite

before my hubby went to sleep last nite.he went to look at our favorite fish the arowana on the balcony.he yelled for me saying the fish is dead.i though it was another of his dumb joke as he knows i love this bugger to bits. feeling something was really wrong as he kept calling me i rushed to the tank and to my horror 2 tinfoil barbs and 15 feeder koi were dead in the tank. only my arowana, pleco and a single ghost shrimp was alive.the water was reaking with dead fish smell.wish he hadn't closed the curtains yesterday got a huge extra quality garbage bag meant for the arowana in case of an emergency and re homed him in another 90 gallon that was left running with a single climbing perch and a handful of ghost shrimp in it. scooped out all the dead fish and did a 100% water change which included the filter. didn't use water from that tank but the spare one. all the dead feeders had a black spot covering the whole of their chest cavity. even the tin foil had blood streaks in the same area and some of the feeders were on the glass and floor in the same area. don't know what went wrong in there but i was definitely not water issues. ammonia and nitrite was high but thats because the tank had dead decomposing fish in there so the water readings aren't dependable. i'm thinking electric shock but the aro and the plec are alive only 100% of the smaller fishes are dead..what could have caused this?
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
 
thefishboy's Avatar
 
Sorry to here about that
thefishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
 
I think you could discount electric shock straight away but check the fuses and breakers, if none of them have tripped and you didn't get a shock when you were sorting it out then it's not that. Concentrate on the black spot and blood streaks.

Were the feeders added recently?

Did you raise the feeders yourself or buy them in?
Marginatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Yes about a day before this happened.it was bought from the store.i had him choose healthy larger feeders.the mystery is that all the feeders had the same condition.black or dark abdomen cavity. They jumped out of the tank and all this happened in 5 hours tops.i came home at 7 pm looked at him for a while as if to tell him i'm home and he and the rest were like normal.no signs nothing. Then a 11 pm when my hubby was going to bed he went to say good nite and thats when we found out the tank had dead fishes in it.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
sorry to here about that
yup felt pity for the rest of the fish but i'm truly happy my big boy survived it.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
 
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a disease/parasite that could cause such a sudden and catastrophic cause of death but I can't off the top of my head.

Disease or parasites would be my suspicion especially as they were added recently and all died. That's the problem with feeders but I understand why people use them, can you not quarantine them anywhere before feeding?
Marginatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
 
Romad's Avatar
 
that's horrible. i hope you figure it out so you can avoid it next time.

good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marginatus View Post
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of a disease/parasite that could cause such a sudden and catastrophic cause of death but I can't off the top of my head.

Disease or parasites would be my suspicion especially as they were added recently and all died. That's the problem with feeders but I understand why people use them, can you not quarantine them anywhere before feeding?

don't think it's parasite as the tin foil that died had been there way longer then the feeders.they were bought not long after i got the aro.and the aro is more then a foot long now. impossible for a parasite to take out all the feeders and 2 adult tin foil at one go like that
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
 
kitten_penang's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
that's horrible. i hope you figure it out so you can avoid it next time.

good luck.

thanks still have no idea what happened but i changed virtually everything and i took off the lighting as well.just in case.
kitten_penang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
 
andrewsz123's Avatar
 
Thats insane sounds horrible. I am sorry for your loss!
andrewsz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lolli Cory in shock lindseyloo20 Tropical Fish Diseases 1 08-02-2010 05:01 PM
Possible CL score 2-nite. Wish me luck!! Romad Freshwater and Tropical Fish 18 02-13-2010 12:22 PM
electric shock trreherd Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 11 04-10-2007 09:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.