90g & BGK - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
90g & BGK

Hopefully (Fingers crossed) I'll be getting a 90g tomorrow. After it cycles, what should I add? I really love BGKs, so I was thinking of taking everything out of one of my 55gs and putting it in the 90g. Would ll this work?

Cherry barbs,
loaches,
snails,
golden barbs,
pearl gourami,
Cories,
Black Ghost Knife

Of course assuming there are lots of rock caves, driftwood, and lots of plants.
Exterrestrial is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM
if it worked in the 55 the 90 should be better

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Philnominal's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterrestrial View Post
Hopefully (Fingers crossed) I'll be getting a 90g tomorrow. After it cycles, what should I add? I really love BGKs, so I was thinking of taking everything out of one of my 55gs and putting it in the 90g. Would ll this work?

Cherry barbs,
loaches,
snails,
golden barbs,
pearl gourami,
Cories,
Black Ghost Knife

Of course assuming there are lots of rock caves, driftwood, and lots of plants.
Black Ghost knifes get a lot bigger then everyone expects. They WILL get wider then the average 90 gallon tank if they are not stunted. They WILL eat (or attempt to eat) anything that can fit in its mouth. This leaves the cherry barbs and corys for a snack for him. (well that is until it tries to eat the corys and gets it stuck in its mouth). Them being an inflexible fish you would need a tank 24 inches wide min for a BGK. The Gold barbs might also be a target for eating, and depending on the loach species. I personally wouldn't do it. If you are i would try to get my hands on a Brown Ghost Knife as they tend to stay considerably smaller then their black cousins. They max out at about 14-15 inches, but you still have the danger of them eating your other fishs.

Knifes are also extremely sensitive to water Params and prefer lots of floating plants to dim any lighting in the tank. Extremely fussy eaters and require somewhere for them to hide that is large enough for them to fit into.
Philnominal is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 PM
That 90 gallon isn't really going to cut it for a Ghost Knife once full grown. If I were you I'd rehome the ghost knife to avoid difficulties down the road unless you intend to upgrade to a much bigger aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_penang View Post
if it worked in the 55 the 90 should be better
What works for a young fish may not always work for an adult. I could throw a Congo Bichir in my 75 right now and it might be okay for a month. That doesn't mean it's going to be okay when it grows up into a meter long monster.

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 04-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Sanguinefox is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM
New Member
 
CatSoup's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinefox View Post
That 90 gallon isn't really going to cut it for a Ghost Knife once full grown. If I were you I'd rehome the ghost knife to avoid difficulties down the road unless you intend to upgrade to a much bigger aquarium.



What works for a young fish may not always work for an adult. I could throw a Congo Bichir in my 75 right now and it might be okay for a month. That doesn't mean it's going to be okay when it grows up into a meter long monster.
I don't think a bgk is in the picture yet. I think it was a want and a question of whether or not they would be good in the new tank.
CatSoup is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Member
 
nicolaas's Avatar
 
The BGK will kill the snails, mine killed a big golden apple.

Good,better,best
I Shall Never Rest
Until My Good Is Better
And My better, best!!
nicolaas is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Member
 
Adamson's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnominal View Post
Black Ghost knifes get a lot bigger then everyone expects. They WILL get wider then the average 90 gallon tank if they are not stunted. They WILL eat (or attempt to eat) anything that can fit in its mouth. This leaves the cherry barbs and corys for a snack for him. (well that is until it tries to eat the corys and gets it stuck in its mouth). Them being an inflexible fish you would need a tank 24 inches wide min for a BGK. The Gold barbs might also be a target for eating, and depending on the loach species. I personally wouldn't do it. If you are i would try to get my hands on a Brown Ghost Knife as they tend to stay considerably smaller then their black cousins. They max out at about 14-15 inches, but you still have the danger of them eating your other fishs.

Knifes are also extremely sensitive to water Params and prefer lots of floating plants to dim any lighting in the tank. Extremely fussy eaters and require somewhere for them to hide that is large enough for them to fit into.
Clearly you have not had a BGK.

90 gallon will be fine, BGK's have small mouths, no teeth, more of like a snout that they suck things up with.
Adamson is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Member
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
As a fish with the potential to reach 20 inches, you should have a tank that is at least 2 feet wide (and much longer). The BGK lacks the ability to bend it's body so it needs lots of room to turn around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM
he was talking about a bgk that's about to be bought it's not like he already has it and i was telling him that if the fishes excluding the bgk did well in the 55 obviously the 90 would be better.

5x2x2 aro,highfin bat,fei feng,ST,albino tinfoil,c.perch
4x1.5x1.5 planted tetras,harlequins,
otto,WMM,2 types of celebes rainbows,rcs,amano, bamboo,red ramhorns,MTS
3.5x2.5x2 flowerhorn,pleco
3x1.5x1.5 russel's lion,blue cleaner,sixline and leopard wrasse,maroon clown pair,green chromis,scorpion,tiger cowrie,turbo,lyretail anthias,jewel,anemone,star polyp,marbled and giant green mushi,zoa
2x1x1 nano sw shrimps
22 May 2012
kitten_penang is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome