Stocking 10 Gallon
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Anabantids » Stocking 10 Gallon

Stocking 10 Gallon

This is a discussion on Stocking 10 Gallon within the Anabantids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Hey all! I have a 10 Gallon tank thats been running for quite some time and currently I have 2 "wcmm" (they seem a ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Sparkling Gourami
Sparkling Gourami
Moonlight Gourami
Moonlight Gourami
Reply
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
 
Red face Stocking 10 Gallon

Hey all! I have a 10 Gallon tank thats been running for quite some time and currently I have 2 "wcmm" (they seem a lot smaller and more transparent) and 2 half grown platy fry. I was hoping to take on an amazon theme by adding a lot more live plants and bogwood and change to black sand in most of the tank.

Anyways I have been wanting to finalize a stocking list and this is what I had in mind...

2-3 honey gourami?
7 pygmy corries
+ small group of smaller schooling fish

I don't know what would be compatible with the gourami and I don't know were to begin researching. Would the gourami be to aggressive in a small tank? From what I've been researching people have only given positive feedback.

For the schooling fish I've read neons are to fragile, although they would look stunning! Is there a type of pygmy rasbora or should I go with a few guppies?
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
 
stevenjohn21's Avatar
 
That seems a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. I would go on AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and choose your species based on compatibility.
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin8D View Post
Hey all! I have a 10 Gallon tank thats been running for quite some time and currently I have 2 "wcmm" (they seem a lot smaller and more transparent) and 2 half grown platy fry. I was hoping to take on an amazon theme by adding a lot more live plants and bogwood and change to black sand in most of the tank.

Anyways I have been wanting to finalize a stocking list and this is what I had in mind...

2-3 honey gourami?
7 pygmy corries
+ small group of smaller schooling fish

I don't know what would be compatible with the gourami and I don't know were to begin researching. Would the gourami be to aggressive in a small tank? From what I've been researching people have only given positive feedback.

For the schooling fish I've read neons are to fragile, although they would look stunning! Is there a type of pygmy rasbora or should I go with a few guppies?
The guppies would be a good choice for small shooling fish but dont add females becuase they are notorious breeders. I had five that turned into 50 in 2 months. As for the Honey gouramies they are a peaceful comunity fish but they would need a larger tank, at least a 20g , and with what you have along with your list a 10g would be considered to small for that many fish along with plants and bod wood. A 20g Tall/High would be your best bet or even a 29g if you dont want to go to big.
Bigguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
By "amazon theme" do you mean fish and plants from the Amazon basin in South America? Because gourami are Asian fish, not SA.

There are lots of options in small fish for a 10g, and using small fish means having more of them for a more interesting display in a small space. We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. I can suggest species once I know your answer to the amazon question.

This assume you stay with the 10g. If you do upgrade to a 20g as the last member suggested, for these fish I would suggest a 20g long rather than a high; you can provide more swimming room and have a few more fish due to the increased surface area.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
 
-Thank you for the link! I put in the fish and it came to about 103% stocked :/ bleh.

-I used to have about five platys in there and they did extremely well with no signs of illness and bred like crazy for a long time. I got rid of them all in a short time because my friends were tired of me dumping the fry on them however two of the tiny fry went unnoticed until they were big enough to be seen. If it is absolutely necessary I could take them else were although they seemed to do alright.

-Ah yes sorry, I knew the dwarf gourami is from the Amazon and I assumed that the honeys were as well. I like the honey gourami enough to overlook its origin and let it stay in the list as the one exception


Would it be possible to keep 1 honey gourami along with 5 pygmy corries? Along with the two platy?
If not do you have any other suggestions for an active Amazon set-up?
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
 
Ah! I just found the sparkling gourami and was wondering if this setup would work even better...

1-3 Sparkling Gourami (I'm not sure how many would be suitable)
5 pygmy corries
2 wcmm
2 platy fry
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin8D View Post
Ah! I just found the sparkling gourami and was wondering if this setup would work even better...

1-3 Sparkling Gourami (I'm not sure how many would be suitable)
5 pygmy corries
2 wcmm
2 platy fry
That would be fine in a planted 10g tank. And you still have room for a group of some small "dwarf" fish, like one of the dwarf rasbora, say the Mosquito Rasbora, or the Ember Tetra. Both are colourful and small, and a group of 6-7 of either would work with a trio of the pygmy sparkling gourami [they should be in a group, minimum 3]. Check the profiles, click on the shaded names.

Might be good to get rid of the platy though, if either is a female she might well have been impregnated by a male from the fry and will produce fry monthly for several months.

Gourami are all SE Asian fish. There are no gourami species in South America (Amazon or elsewhere). Just so you know.

Btw, what exactly are "wcmm?"

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
That would be fine in a planted 10g tank. And you still have room for a group of some small "dwarf" fish, like one of the dwarf rasbora, say the Mosquito Rasbora, or the Ember Tetra. Both are colourful and small, and a group of 6-7 of either would work with a trio of the pygmy sparkling gourami [they should be in a group, minimum 3]. Check the profiles, click on the shaded names.

Might be good to get rid of the platy though, if either is a female she might well have been impregnated by a male from the fry and will produce fry monthly for several months.

Gourami are all SE Asian fish. There are no gourami species in South America (Amazon or elsewhere). Just so you know.

Btw, what exactly are "wcmm?"

Byron.
Oh that would be a lovely setup! I really like the Mosquito Rasbora.

I have an old 24x9x8 tank that I've been wanting to set up, so I might transfer the two platy fry into there, I think they are both female.

Oh really? I had no idea! Thats pretty neat(:

Its short for 'white cloud mountain minnow'; however they are much smaller and I've had them for a few months now. I think they were mislabeled because they do not school together and yet they are very active and healthy.
Erin8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin8D View Post
Oh that would be a lovely setup! I really like the Mosquito Rasbora.

I have an old 24x9x8 tank that I've been wanting to set up, so I might transfer the two platy fry into there, I think they are both female.

Oh really? I had no idea! Thats pretty neat(:

Its short for 'white cloud mountain minnow'; however they are much smaller and I've had them for a few months now. I think they were mislabeled because they do not school together and yet they are very active and healthy.
Thanks. Check the profile for White Cloud Mountain Minnow, they do best in lower temperatures (room or less) whereas the others we are talking about are tropical and need warmer.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 55 gallon,stocking help james7139 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 10-02-2010 08:56 PM
50 gallon stocking shane3fan Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 01-26-2010 09:52 AM
Stocking 55 Gallon?? tyffpostlethwait Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 16 01-29-2009 01:25 AM
Stocking my 105-gallon display tank and 20 gallon sump fishr4life Saltwater Fish 2 01-27-2008 03:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.