Dwarf/Honey Gooramsi - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
thefishboy's Avatar
 
Dwarf/Honey Gooramsi

Is it possible to mix species of honey gourami and dwarf gourami or is that a definate no-no??
thefishboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
Is it possible to mix species of honey gourami and dwarf gourami or is that a definate no-no??
Would stick with the Honey gouramis, far less issues with aggression and the honey gouramis are not plauged by Iridovirus and or Mycobacterium that some of the other dwarf gouramis are.

Many of the male gouramis are quite aggressive with other males,and females are often hard to find due to them being less colorful. Stores sell way more males than females for this reason and is why you don't always find the females easily.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
thefishboy's Avatar
 
Ohh im tryong to get just female honey gouramis, but im pondering wether theres no point because the females have not as much colour!?
thefishboy is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Member
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
Ohh im tryong to get just female honey gouramis, but im pondering wether theres no point because the females have not as much colour!?
maybe u should just get one male gourami....his prettiness will make up for the fact there is only one
dorabaker is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
thefishboy's Avatar
 
Maybe im not sure?! ill ask when i go to the pet shop to show me the feamles and if ther the 1s ive been looking at then ill probz stick wid the trio if not ill get one as a centre piece, and maybe some more guppys or guppys and platys?!!!
thefishboy is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Member
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
Maybe im not sure?! ill ask when i go to the pet shop to show me the feamles and if ther the 1s ive been looking at then ill probz stick wid the trio if not ill get one as a centre piece, and maybe some more guppys or guppys and platys?!!!
more guppies maybe, but not the guppies and the platies together...methinks that is a bad idea. i've never kept platies (except for the one that died...) so i dont know much about their behaviour, but the guppy's trailing fins would probably be too tempting and they'd get attacked by the platies.
dorabaker is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
thefishboy's Avatar
 
Platys dont seem to be a very good fish every1 says not to get them! MAybe ill get a male dwarf gourami or 2 females and some extra guppys?? Im very fond of the snake tail guppy, beautiful fish!
thefishboy is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Member
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
Platys dont seem to be a very good fish every1 says not to get them! MAybe ill get a male dwarf gourami or 2 females and some extra guppys?? Im very fond of the snake tail guppy, beautiful fish!
the snakeskin guppies are gorgeous arent they?
i'm a bit worried about the dwarf gourami now i've heard about the diseases they can carry. i'd go with the honey gouramis. maybe you could get a male and two females?
dorabaker is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
thefishboy's Avatar
 
I dont rely wont them to breed, 1 i dont have sufficant space and or the money to set up another tank for the fry
and 2 my mum is just letting me have some fish!! She doesnt want a baby fish!! And any way the corys might breed and that will be enough!!
thefishboy is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Member
 
dorabaker's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishboy View Post
I dont rely wont them to breed, 1 i dont have sufficant space and or the money to set up another tank for the fry
and 2 my mum is just letting me have some fish!! She doesnt want a baby fish!! And any way the corys might breed and that will be enough!!
i doubt that either will breed to be honest. the only fish i've ever managed to breed are mosquitofish, and as they are livebearers its pretty much impossible to STOP them breeding! but i guess some people are luckier than me. i bought corys just assuming they would breed because i had a male and a female, but actually everything needs to be perfect for fish to feel like breeding, and even then there's no guarantee they will. but i see your point...same reason i don't want to get a male betta
dorabaker is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dwarf honey gourami and betta marinebiologist21 Anabantids 10 12-19-2009 06:46 PM
can i get 2 female dwarf honey gouramis? wendex Anabantids 24 10-25-2008 03:10 PM
Black spots on Honey Dwarf Gourami ttiger72 Tropical Fish Diseases 2 02-07-2008 12:19 PM
honey dwarf gourami Jacobkgreen Anabantids 4 07-12-2007 09:44 PM
Dwarf Honey Guaramis Wexley Anabantids 3 11-19-2006 10:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome